Chapter 12

It might be better if I go in. I mean, what if something happens to Chloe? "Chloe, I think I should go in."

"Why? I have the bat you know. So if Mark is in there, then I can defend myself."

"Just let me go in, please." She's silent.

"Alright, fine. But here, take the bat."

"I don't need it." I say confidently. Whoever's in there sounds like they're already wounded, and knowing Chloe she will probably hurt them even more, even if it's not on purpose.

She looks me in the eyes. "Max, are you sure? I mean, what if you get hurt?"

"Well, I can always rewind." I say partially joking. Chloe doesn't find it very funny.

"Just don't get hurt, ok?" I nod to her and start walking into the darkroom. It's completely dark. It's a literal dark room. I walk forward with my hands out feeling for things in front of me. I wonder if the lights work? I go over to the wall by the entrance to the darkroom and feel around for a switch. Nope, nothing. I feel around some more. There you are, you sneaky little switch. I push the light switch up, and light quickly replaces the darkness.

"Ungh, damn that's bright!" The unknown voice complains. It sounds male, but also muffled. I'm not quite sure who's it is.

"Max? What's happening in there?" Chloe asks sounding concerned.

"I-I think someone's here!" I respond.

Chloe rushes in and comes over to me. "Do you know who it is?" She says while looking over at the male's legs poking out from in front of the couch.

"No, so let's go over to him." I say while starting to walk over to the person laying on the floor.

"Alright, I got my bat."

I stop and turn around. "Chloe, I doubt we'll need that. Whoever they are, they're already wounded."

"I'm still keeping it ready." She holds her bat up higher now. I walk over to the presumed wounded person with Chloe right behind me.

"Oh my god, Nathan, are you all right?" Nathan Prescott is laying on the floor with a bag over his head, a backwards right leg, and blood on his shirt. I kneel down and take the sack off.

"I-I'm sorry. I should have told you that sooner. I really don't have anything against you, or your friend. It was-It was all Mark. He brainwashed me into doing this stuff. I just, I don't know anymore!" He says that last part rather loudly.

"Did Mark do this to you?" I ask. He did say that Mark was going to kill him. He obviously failed, thank god. Nathan isn't evil, he's just, misguided.

"Yeah. He gave me a dose of the drug he has in his syringes, but it wasn't enough to knock me out, so I put up a fight. He hit me in the chest with one of the tripods multiple times, and I think he broke a rib or something, because god it hurts. Then he knocked me out and he must have been in a rush to leave because he didn't shoot me or anything, he just put a bag over my head. I don't know how I managed to survive, but I did."

"Was David in here?" Chloe asks randomly. "You know, security guard guy, real hard ass."

"Ungh, no I didn't see him in here." He says sounding like he's in pain.

"This all happened last night? During the storm?" I ask

"Yeah, there was a big storm, so I came down here because I thought it would be safe. Turns out I was wrong." He coughs at the end of his sentence and blood comes out of his mouth. It just occurred to me that we should probably help him now, and ask questions later.