Chapter 27

Sunday, October 13th, 11:47 AM
Start Music

"Hey, I like this song, could you turn it up?" Chloe asks. I turn the nob on the radio.

I tap the brake as we approach a red light. I look at Chloe and see her looking out of the window. She must be as lost as I am. Physically and mentally.

"Do you recognize any of this?" I ask. She looks around outside.

"Nnnnnnnnooo." She draws it out as she looks around. "Nope. Nothing here rings a bell." Great. We are lost. "But that's alright. Being lost is all part of the fun!" I guess in some circumstances, but this is just giving me anxiety. The light turns green and I press on the gas pedal. What are we going to do? Where are we going to go? We had our celebration, now we have to worry. We drive by a nice scene: green leaves from different oak trees touching the sky, birds fluttering around, and the wild deer or two walking around. This place is kind of like Arcadia Bay. Maybe it has a long Native American history too. I try to keep my eyes on the road, but it's hard to because of the beauty of this place. I don't want to drive like Chloe does. To be honest, she's kind of reckless.

"Isn't it beautiful?" I ask. She has to agree with me, as she's staring outside so intensely.

"Yeah, it's pretty alright." She pauses. "Last time I was here, I was with Rachel. It was a few years ago, and we had hella fun. I don't think we were here though, but this scenery reminds me of what we saw." She looks a little down. That's understandable. We are leaving everything behind and starting a new life. She's leaving the place where she had a lot of memories with Rachel.

"What did you see?"

"It was like this for a while, but then the sky became dark and it started to rain. Like, downpour. It was so unexpected too. We ended up running out of gas-bad timing, right? Anyways, we ran out of gas in the truck, and we just stayed parked on the side of the road. There weren't any cars or anything, it was weird. Then, this wolf, a large grey wolf, just stood under the trees, watching us. It's bright yellow eyes kept staring at us. It was eerie as fuck. Then, it just disappeared! Like it was a ghost or something!" She makes wild hand gestures. That's pretty weird. Maybe it just looked weird because of the rain or something.

"That is strange." Maybe that's part of some Native American folklore in this area. We drive up and down some hills, but the scenery stays with us.

"Ya think we'll find him?" She asks.

"Maybe." Nothing's impossible. I learned that when I realized I could time travel. We drive into a small community. It doesn't have very many buildings, let alone houses. There probably aren't that many people here. "You recognize this place?" I ask. She shakes her head.

"Nope. Never been here before. It looks nice though." It does look nice. It has an old vibe to it. Maybe that's what makes it look good. I drive into the parking lot of a small building.

"So, what's the plan?" She stares at me blankly.

"Haven't you already asked me that before? Maybe in the phrase of a different question or something, I don't know. But anyways, I don't know. I don't have a plan, and I wasn't planning on making a plan." I wonder if she meant to put a joke in there. All kidding aside Max, this just sounds like typical Chloe.

"Alright, alright, but let me ask you this: what should we do now?" We should probably eat, but I'm not feeling too hungry. I think it's from this week.