Chapter 40

What if he's right? What if this really isn't reality?

"Max, you don't look so good, you alright? I understand if you're upset, but Jefferson had that coming; he deserved it."

"I'm just getting hung up on the whole dream thing."

"Don't worry about that stuff, it's not important, because it's not true. This is as real as ever."

"I hope so." She turns to me.

"Of course this is. Max, even with everything that's happened, I've been so happy being with you again. You have no idea how much I've missed you. If this is a dream, how do you explain those feelings? Max, if this turns out to be a dream or something, I just want you to know that you have been the best-est friend anyone could have." She smiles and turns back to the road. Suddenly, my head starts hurting like crazy, and blood slides out of my nose.

"Oh shit, not agai.-" I say, then everything turns dark.
...............
I wake up laying down in a bed. I sit up and-I'm in my room. What the fuck? This has to be another dream, right? I stand up out of bed. I'm fully dressed, so that's a little odd. I grab my bag and go outside into the dormitory hallway. Everything looks normal, like there was no storm.

"Ugh, gross Caulfield, you're not even going to shower?" Victoria says in her usual bitchy way. "I would, of course that's just basic hygiene, but especially after what happened yesterday." Victoria is, perfectly fine. What the fuck?

"What was that?" I ask.

"You don't remember? God, you really are dumber than you look." She walks down the hall, towards the door to the outside world. I guess some things don't change. Kate pokes her head through her open doorway.

"Hey, Max, are you alright? Come here, do you want to talk about it?" Talk about what? I walk into Kate's room, and she closes the door. She wraps her arms around me and gives me a hug.

"I am so sorry about what happened yesterday. I can't even imagine what it was like to experience something like that."

"What are you talking about?" She stares at me blankly.

"You know, when that-if you don't want to talk about it, you can just tell me, it's ok. I understand something like that takes time to heal from. I'll pray for you, Max. Now, I have to take a shower, so I'll talk to you later."

"Yeah, sure." I say not really paying attention to her. What the fuck happened yesterday that was so traumatic? I walk back into the hallway.

Beep beep

My phone starts to buzz in my pocket. I take it out and look at it. It's a text from mom. But how? That's not possible.

Hey Max, I heard about what happened yesterday. How are you feeling, and are you ok? You can call your father and I if you want someone to talk to. We love you <3

I would answer her, but I don't know what the fuck is even happening. This feels even realer than when I was with Chloe. I just have this feeling, that this isn't a dream. My phone buzzes again.

Reminder:
1st period starts in 10 mins. Yay, photography :)

I should probably go to that. Maybe I'll find some answers there. I walk out the door, and see that everything is alright. It looks just like it did before the storm. Ok, I've established that the storm hasn't come yet, so does that mean I went back in time? But I just passed out, right? I start to walk to the main building. Everything looks so normal: the birds are still chirping, the squirrels are still scampering, and the rare deer or two show up sometimes.