Chapter Two

I scowled the entire way back to the auto repair shop. Something about the way she acted was itching at me. I scoffed again and stared down at my cellphone in my lap. Annoyed I turned the volume down on the stereo and drove in silence. When I got to the auto shop and parked the guy who had been out front with the pipe was gone. And so too were Jude and Luka.

My lip twitched some more in annoyance and I stuffed the cellphone into my pocket and grabbed the items from the passenger seat. Blade was exactly where I'd left him, slaving over the motorcycle. His skin was tan from being out in the sun which he didn't seem to notice. My shoes scuffled across the ground noisily as I approached, which made him look back over his shoulder when he caught the sound of footsteps walking up behind him. His eyebrow rose slightly on his forehead and the angle those green eyes were staring at me from, would normally make my heart skip a million beats. But of course, my less than solemn mood was distracting me from how good he looks.

"Back already?" He asks, a bit surprised.

"Eh, I did say I'd be back in a jiffy."

He gave a half-smile holding a wrench in his hand.

"Still didn't expect you back so soon sweetling," he says.

I reached where he kneeled and sat on the ground on the opposite side of the motorcycle where I could see him working.

"Sounds like you were hoping I'd stay away longer," I say in an accusatory tone.

Blade cast his big green eyes on me again as I made myself comfortable and let the bag rest on the ground next to me.
"Now why'd you say that?" he asks and I bit my lip refusing to answer.

I didn't feel like mentioning the girl from Bob's, nor did I feel like talking much. Blade had stopped working and watched me in silence. I removed a beer from the grocery bag and offered it to him.

"Thanks," he says taking it and opening the can before taking a swig, "you seem off," he points out downing more beer.

My lip twitched again and I silently opened a can of beer for myself and took a sip. Reaching into the bag I got the oversized bag of chips and ripped it open. Blade's green eyes pierced into me silently watching... refusing to continue working until I gave him answers. His silent gaze made me uncomfortable and I frowned and decided to respond, after all, I was only milking the ten-second meeting with whoever that girl was and how naggingly inquisitive she was.

"I'm fine," I mutter and took out a chip and ate it. It crunched loudly and I got another and stuffed it into my mouth.

"Are you sure?" He asks and I nodded and forced a convincing smile.

That seemed to reassure Blade somehow because he silently went back to working on the motorcycle while taking swigs from his beer. His jet black hair glistened in the sunlight and his forehead was a bit damp. I took out another chip from the bag and stretched it towards him.

"Blade..."

He looked up from the motorcycle and I fed him the chip. He cracked a smile which prompted a tiny smile of my own to tug on my lips. Each chip I took from the bag and munched on, I also fed him one.

"Where's Jude and Luka?" I ask when their absence had gotten more noticeable.

"Scouting," he replies looking up at me.

"Scouting for what?" I intone before stuffing another chip into my mouth.

"Babes," he responds.

I rolled my eyes and he snickered.

"Seems like that's the only thing they're good at," I remarked, staring at Blade suspiciously.

"Maybe, but what do I know? I'm in a relationship with the best girl in the world," he says with a smile.