Chapter Twenty One

"What's this I hear about you getting into a fistfight at a party?" Victor yelled the minute I set foot on the driveway at our house.

He was in the patrol car pulling away when he spotted me and stopped. He heavy stepped on the breaks in the process, leaving me to think why are all the men in my life like this.

Overly dramatic whenever I'm slightly involved in anything. Victor. Blade. Ossey. James. Even Adam.

"I've joined the school's boxing club that's all," I say with a straight face but he was not amused.

"You're unbelievable you know that?!" He almost screamed, "We'll talk about this when I get home."

I shrugged my shoulder at that. I had bigger problems to worry about- big - big problems spelt H-E-L-E-N.

"I look forward to it," I say with a deep sigh.

Victor scoffed then went on his merry way. After proceeding cautiously to the house, I opened the door quietly. Inside sounded lively and I made careful to walk on my tippy toes.

"She's not here," Adam's voice called out almost giving me a heart attack.

"Why are you sneaking up on me?!" I snap at the doofus as he wore a huge grin.

"I've been standing here all morning," he says from where he stood at the staircase "the only person sneaking is you".

I let out a sigh of relief that Helen wasn't home and frowned at Adam. I made an immature noise at his comment then took off up the stairs. Hurrying to my bedroom I flopped down in bed. Ruth had given me a type of cream to help with the bruising before I left Blade's and I'd gone ahead and smothered the whole thing over my body. I looked awful. Downright awful.

My mind was telling me to get up and go to work before I got further on Helen's bad side but my body was telling me no.

In the end, I pulled on joggers, a crop top with a flannel shirt over it and a baseball cap. I wasn't going for fashionable I was just trying to hide every inch of me as best as possible.

My sneakers made a squeaky sound as I climbed down the stairs.

"A package arrived in the mail for you, " Adam's disembodied voice calls.

"What is it?" I yell back at him.

"How would I know? It's yours!"

"When have you not snooped through my packages?" I shout finishing my descent.

Adam showed up at the hallway door leading to the kitchen.

"I never snoop I just read the fine print to figure out what's it in." He says with a smirk.

"Yeah right."

One of these days I'll order a massive dildo to teach him a lesson about privacy. I made a mental note of it.

The package was lying on the console table that Helen had moved near to the door. I picked the thing up and examined it. Scratching my head I wasn't sure what it was. I ripped at the edge and took a peek and my heart started racing.

The money I'd gotten from the street race I'd used it to purchase a camera. It had arrived and suddenly I forgot about my sour mood. I stashed the package under my arm and left the house.

"What about breakfast?" Adam called.

"Eat for the both of us!" I shout.

"You don't have to tell me twice!" he responded as I got into the Beetle and headed out.

That was the longest five minutes I've ever experienced. I was too impatient to rip the thing open and examine it. As soon as I pulled into the parking lot I glanced at my watch and exited the Beetle. I was merely five minutes early for work and by the time I get to the door, it'd only be four.