Chapter Five

The final race in the round had been underway and the four riders were being cheered on by an overly enthusiastic crowd. The crowd grew bigger by the hour as more motorcycles turned up. Both Luka and Jude got their motorcycles and brought them to where Blade and I were.

Blade was awfully jittery about leaving me to go compete. I frowned at him reminding him that I could take care of myself but he seemed convinced otherwise.

"I could take on the rowdiest guy here, not without challenges but I could," I mutter in an annoyed tone to him.

"Have you forgotten how easy you were to kidnap?"

"Oh you got lucky," I respond and he sighed.

"You're so stubborn Tink," He says.

My brow rose to an awkward angle.

"You haven't called me that in months," I say suspiciously turning a bit red in the face.

" Only because you haven't been stubborn in months," he responds with a wry smile.

I rolled my eyes and frowned.

"I'll be fine," I say assuringly, "now go and show these boys how it's done," I say with a smile.

He lowered his face to mine.

"Hey, we're a team remember," I say, "it's you and me."

"And us!" Luka shouts.

I giggled. Blade smiles.

"A kiss for good luck?" He whispers and squeezes my hand.

A wave of emotion crashed over me and I crashed my lips against his and kissed him hard. Blade returned the kiss just as passionately.

"Ahem!" Luka coughs loudly and Blade and I slowed down but didn't pull away.

"The race is over mate, it's time," Jude declares.

It was truly the first place rider came flying towards the finish line and the crowd yelled and screamed at the top of their lungs. I eased myself from the Harley and Blade removed the helmet from under his arm and placed it on his head. He gave us one final look then rode off to where the competitors would be gathering. Simultaneously we all began cheering and all the competitors lined up next to each other. The girl with the bullhorn Liza was riling up the crowd even more than we already were. The motorcycles revved loudly as she introduced the riders.

Rider number one was some person that went by the name Dunwell. The second rider was Verse and the third rider in a biker jacket zipped all the way up and paired with leather pants was a thin guy that went by the name Rocket. Blade was on the outside and the crowd cheered when he was introduced. Those who hadn't wagered a bet went to bet and I wondered how many were betting on Blade.

"How many do you think will bet on Blade?" I ask Luka who was standing on my left.

"They'd all be stupid not to bet on him," Luka responds.

"Considering he's won every race he's ever competed in," Jude adds.

Blade was obviously blocking out the crowd as he revved the motorcycle. The minute the flag was waved they didn't hesitate to ride. The crowd was on its feet hundreds of voices cheering loudly, at first I couldn't tell which one was Blade and they weaved in and out of sight, made leaps and jumps and flew around the track. Only when I saw the rider on the motorcycle in the lead did I realize it was Blade. My fingernails dug into my palms as I watched horrified yet excited. The race looked dangerous, to say the least, and the last thing I wanted was for him or anyone to get injured. It felt like only a second had passed when they had finished the track and were racing toward the street. Blade was still leading but the skinny boy in leather was dangerously close by. He seemed to have sensed the other rider on his tail and went faster and in a split second, they were out of sight. The few seconds they had disappeared for seemed like forever and my heart made a massive leap when the riders appeared on the street above far away in the distance. The music was still loud, along with the chatter and cheers and my heart was beating loudly in my chest. My eyes followed the riders in the distance, two riders upfront only a centimetre away from each other and the other two only a meter behind. My eyes followed them as they rode at the speed of light and when one of the riders up front disappeared for a second, my breath hitched in my chest because I couldn't tell if it was Blade or not. Jude and Luka were chatting away calmly and I heard none of what they said as I watched the race intently. They were getting close to re-entering the track as they weaved across each other to keep the others behind. The sound of the motorcycles returning was loud and the cheers grew to a deafening pitch once more. The two motorcycles came into view and my heart catapulted when I realized the skinny dude was the one in the lead.