Chapter Seven

I woke up the next morning tired and groggy. I hadn't been drinking the night before but I felt like I'd chugged a keg of liquor and was witnessing the after-effects. After lying in bed for almost thirty minutes I finally got up and took a shower and pulled on a tee-shirt and a pair of leggings. I'd washed my hair in the shower and used the blow dryer to dry it before getting tired and letting it air dry itself. The house seemed pretty empty at first. The microwave in the kitchen flashed ten-twenty when I got a box of cereal and some milk from the refrigerator and poured some into a bowl and ate it. A small brown package was sitting on the island across from me that and I spent the whole time staring at it suspiciously. It could be a time bomb for all I know, just ready to go off. I shrugged uncaring, at least if I died it would be with a belly full of cereal. What better way to go out?

After some time had passed and I grew tired of staring at the package, I got up and made my way to it and retrieved it. It didn't feel like much but when I opened it I realized it was a coil of money. I tossed the coil into the air wondering if Victor or Helen had left it, but it was way too much for either of them to just leave me especially after last night.

The thought awoke something in my brain and a moment later I remembered the bet and the race. I pulled my cellphone out and rang Blade.

It rang a few times before he picked up.

"' Sup sleepyhead, " Blade's raspy voice says, "how was your rest?"

"Not good at all. Hey did you or Luka drop off a package here?"

"A package? What sort of package?" he questions.

"A brown paper bag with cash?"

"Er yeah, it's your cut from last night."

I turned the coil over in my hand wondering what sort of gambling ring they had been running because this coil alone I was certain was at least two thousand dollars.

"Were you the one that dropped it off?" I ask rolling it around.

"Yeah, you were sleeping so I left it with Helen," he responds.

I frowned at the fact that he'd been toying with me earlier. I frowned then yawned quietly, and felt my stomach rumble.

Unbelievable, the bowl of cereal hadn't been enough. I suddenly started to feel like a cave person.

"What's the plan for today?" I ask ignoring the sound of my stomach.

"Still working on that motorcycle, it's coming along pretty nicely," he says.

My stomach made a loud angry sound.

"Hey I'd love to sit and chat some more," I say, "but my stomach is protesting angrily. Gotta go."

A soft snicker came.

"Okay, but before you go, I was wondering if you're still interested in learning how to ride a motorcycle?" He asks nonchalantly.

A sudden smile tugged on my lips. I tossed my hair to the side despite the growls in my stomach getting angrier.

"About time. Why'd you change my mind about me riding?"

"Because I think it'll make you happy," he says "I mean only if you want to Secret. Me, Luka or Jude anyone of us could teach you."

"I want you to," I say without hesitating, "How soon can I expect my riding lessons to begin?"

"As soon as I turn up to save you from your prison," he quips and I smiled.

"Okay my gallant knight, until then I shall wait atop my lonely tower for you to rescue me," I reply with a huge grin, "that is if the angry dragon in my stomach doesn't devour me-"