Chapter 14 - The History of Aine

It had taken almost three days before they finally heard from Dewdrop, and another several days before she had returned. The first three days were at first thought to be the hardest, knowing that Dewdrop was alive but not being able to ask her what happened. It had almost driven Elyssa to the brink of insanity, along with wearing a large path along Annette’s floors. All Elyssa could think of was Dantes, and wanting to know what had happened to him.

Finally, on the fourth day Dewdrop had called from a hospital. She mentioned being treated for some wounds and that she’d return soon. She also warned them that they needed to prepare for what was to come before hanging up. There was no word of where she was, or what had happened, and the call was over before anything else could be said. To say that the call had left Elyssa infuriated would have been an understatement.

Annette and her mom added to Elyssa’s rage, still refusing to answer as to where Dantes and Dewdrop had gone. Again, Elyssa was left waiting and without answers. By the time another week had gone by awaiting for Dewdrop’s return, Elyssa had almost reached the end of her rope. She had become moody and impatient, practically snapping at anyone for saying so much as a word to her. She also had found herself sitting out more and more from Shannon’s talks with Alicia and Annette.

When Dewdrop finally walked in the front door of the shop, Elyssa practically ambushed her with question after question of what had happened, and where she had been, and what had happened to Dantes. It seemed to take Dewdrop by surprise, as she had assumed Alicia and Annette had shared more than they had.

Alicia’s answer for keeping it a secret didn’t help. Elyssa found it quite ridiculous that they feared Aine would find out about the journey and try to beat them to the mysterious black book. Apparently the less people that knew of the quest, the better. Or at least that was their reasoning. Although with Elyssa being basically trapped at their shop, she didn’t quite see the point. If Aine was still spying on her, surely they would have known about it.

For this reason alone, she figured she’d keep the knowledge of actually having the book to herself for just a little longer out of spite. She still hadn’t had a chance to look through it to see what spells they were so worried about anyway. A few more days to maybe get away and take some notes before handing it over couldn’t hurt.

She started thinking twice about doing so once Alicia brought up the idea of destroying it. It was another checkmark on Elyssa’s list of things that didn’t make sense. If Aine was so powerful, why would they want to destroy a book that actually might give them a chance to win the battle against her?

For as many questions that Dewdrop’s arrival had caused, Elyssa didn’t spend much time thinking on them. What she was most concerned about was Dantes, and his well being. Elyssa forced Dewdrop to go through her story of what had happened several times. At various parts she had to hold back sobs. The idea of being trapped and alone was unfathomable to her. She couldn’t help but hold a resentment towards Dewdrop for leaving him that way.

Alicia and Annette seemed to be a bit more understanding. Numerous times Elyssa had mentioned returning to save him, and each time she was met with a no. Once again, their reasoning had  drawn fits of anger from Elyssa. They were worried he had changed, and by digging him out they’d be unleashing a demon they dared not deal with during this time. If he hadn’t lost to his dark side, then they reasoned he’d be fine seeing that he was immortal in that state. In that case, training to deal with Aine now was the more important issue, versus spending what could be weeks or months digging him out.

Logically it made sense, although the heart didn’t always follow logic. They argued that if Dantes was well, he’d understand their choice. Elyssa wasn’t so sure, already knowing how disinterested he could treat her at times. The few times Elyssa had glanced at Dewdrop for reassurance, she knew from the look in her eyes that she too wanted to go for Dantes. It made her feel better, that is until Dewdrop finally spoke up and sided with Annette and her mom. It was merely another reason for Elyssa to feel somewhat resentful and betrayed. Even Shannon, who had been sitting quietly and listening to the whole ordeal, didn’t lend much support.