Chapter 32 - The Dark Witch

For a brief moment, everything seemed to slow to a stop as if time was frozen. There were no sounds, no movement, only an eery stillness. Aine's sword stuck from Dantes, and she saw the pain, anger, and defiance in his face. Behind him stood Dewdrop, a look of shock on her face as she looked down at the sword that had penetrated her heart. Aine's eyes shined with a confidence, and a hunger for victory, and Leo's was a look of indifference. Four different reactions, all entwined, and frozen in space and time like a photo.

In the streets, she saw the brilliant blues, greens, reds, and oranges as magic exploded in the air. The look of defiance and unyielding will to not fall was painted on the faces of Shannon, Annette, and her mom as they battled the hordes of creatures piling in front of them. Tobias was frozen in mid leap, his powerful jaws inches from latching onto another attacker.

Just as things had slowed, they sped up again. Slowly at first, so slowly she could see each droplet of blood as it dripped from Dewdrop's chest. With that came the sounds, echoing through the alley as each red droplet crashed to the cement below. From the street came the screams of the creatures as they died at the witches hands, and the explosion of magic as it pierced the air.

It was a moment she'd never forget, seeing each and every detail, hearing every little resonance of sound as all hope was lost. She wished it was a magic spell that had frozen time, and would have given her the chance to change the events that were unfolding. Sadly it was just a moment in time, a life changing moment, one of the few where we become aware of them as they're happening. A moment where we become so hyper focused that we see and hear every sound as it plays out, completely powerless to stop the changing tide, and forever burning the image into our memories.

The next moments happened so fast that she'd struggle to remember them even years later. It was as if time was catching up for its previous hesitation. She saw Dantes fall to the ground, followed by Dewdrop seconds later. If there was one memory she couldn't forget, it would be the look of anguish and dread on Dantes' face as he realized Dewdrop was near death, and he was helpless to change it.

For a brief instant, a fire ignited in his eyes, and the demon bared its face. He wanted revenge. He wanted blood, and once he turned, no one in his path would be safe. For a split second, she thought she had lost him forever as his face turned its pale white, and his eyes glowed a bright red.

Then his eyes caught hers and something changed. There was a slight twinkle, as if a lost memory had been regained, a reason to continue fighting for his humanity. In that hesitation, Elyssa could see him fighting back against the rage that had built up inside of him, trying to stave it off for as long as he could. She felt a brief second of relief, followed by a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Something was wrong. Maybe he had let himself go too far, allowed the darkness inside to overtake too much of his soul, but whatever the reason she could see that he was having trouble regaining control. The demon fought against him, unwilling to give up the hold it had taken. Dantes' battle was no longer just against Aine, but one that was also being waged within for the price of his mortal soul. If he lost, the others would likely soon follow.

"...Kill...Aine," Dantes murmured through anguished teeth as he fell to the ground and twisted in pain. Elyssa hesitated, wanting to run to his side, but torn in knowing that Aine was the bigger threat for everyone but him. Letting her guard down against Aine for even a second would doom them all. Dantes knew that, and she knew he was right, but it didn't make the choice any easier.

"Yes, Elyssa. Kill me," Aine said with a devilish grin, taunting her to attempt an attack. Elyssa could feel her own anger rising. A blue aura once again surrounded her, and she focused the energy into the palms of her hand. She could feel the power as it ebbed and flowed within her, growing in strength with each passing moment.