Chapter 18 - An Unexpected Glimpse

Dewdrop and Shannon walked along the sandy beach, their bare feet digging into the sand with each step. The waves softly caressed their ankles as it made it's way through the sand, and then gently retreated back to the ocean. The air was warm, but the cool breeze that calmly blew in from the water made it more than tolerable. It was enjoyable, and a far cry from the rigorous training they had been doing for the last few months.

Getting the day off wasn't as difficult as Dewdrop and Shannon thought it would be. After a few minutes of begging and pleading, Annette and her mom agreed to letting them have it to their surprise. With Elyssa spending the day away, they figured that it would be a good idea for the rest of them to have a day of relaxation also.

As soon as Elyssa had left with Leo, they had all decided to take the trip to the beach. It seemed like the easiest trip with the least fuss, and the shop was close by in case they needed to get back quickly. Alicia and Annette even decided to join them, along with Tobias. While they sat watching the waves caress the beach, and Tobias chased the retreating pools of water before running from the incoming ones, Dewdrop and Shannon took a stroll along the sand.

It was the first time in the last months that Shannon and Dewdrop actually had a time to really talk and get to know one another. While Shannon had always liked Dewdrop, she found her fondness of her growing even more as they spoke on a more personal level. From Dewdrops own history, to that of her tribe, it all fascinated Shannon and it only seemed to be a small portion of what Dewdrop had experienced. There was so much more that Shannon wanted to discuss and learn from her.

To Shannon's dismay, the conversation eventually turned towards her own training and feelings about it. Shannon mentioned the difficulties she was having, and not understanding exactly what the point of the mediations and yoga were. The was also the doldrums from seeing the same scenery over and over again and how nice it would be to train somewhere else for a little while just for a change of pace.

"Too bad we can't do our training sessions here," Shannon mused as they walked along.

"Water does have a way of opening up energy. It's actually not a bad idea," Dewdrop responded.

"You think Annette would do it?" Shannon's question was met with laughter.

"I highly doubt it. It wouldn't hurt to ask though."

"Hmm, you really think being around water helps?" Shannon asked as she turned to gaze out over the ocean.

"Nature itself most certainly does. And what better conductor than water, which isn't really much different than energy in the way it flows around us," Dewdrop responded as she kneeled down and stretch her hands out towards the water surrounding their feet. The water began to ripple, forming tiny little waves. As she moved her palms back and forth in circles above the waves they followed her movements as if in some intricate dance with her hands.

"I wish I could do that," Shannon stated with a hint of sadness to her voice.

"You most definitely can. There's a reason Annette and her mom have asked you to stay with them."

"And what reason is that? Because they haven't told me anything other than me being important in some way," Shannon asked.

"It's because of me that they asked you to stay," Dewdrop replied.

"That doesn't help at all."

"I know. You'll understand soon enough though. In the meantime, would you like to try again real quick?" Dewdrop asked, hastily changing the subject.

"Okay. I don't see what the point is though. I've been doing those meditations for months now and...nothing. I don't feel any different at all."

Dewdrop laughed at her statement, "You're not supposed to feel different. It has nothing to do with you, it's what you feel going on around you."