Chapter 25 - City of Shadows

Elyssa blinked her eyes trying to adjust them to the darkness around her. Wherever she was, it was cold and felt uninviting. As her eyes adjusted to the lack of light, she realized she was still inside Annette’s shop. There was something different about it though, something not quite right. Slowly she pushed herself to her feet.

“Hello,” she whispered.

“Is anyone here?”

Something stirred not far from her, sending chills up her spine as she jumped back a few feet. In the poor lighting it appeared to be a dark blob of something, or a shadow perhaps. She couldn’t quite tell which until a moment later when it twitched and let out a low, ghastly moan.

“...Whatever you are, I’m warning you to stay back,” her voice quivered in an unconvincing and failed attempt to appear strong. It moved again, letting out another horrendous noise in the process. Slowly it started crawling towards her.

“I said stay back!”

“...El...Ely...,” the shadowy creature sputtered. The voice sounded oddly familiar, too familiar in fact.

“...Annette, is that you?” Elyssa hesitated a moment, not sure if it was really Annette, or whatever that shadow demon was, playing a trick. She squinted into the darkness as it  moved closer, wanting to run to Annette but still not positive that’s who she was seeing.

“Annette?” she repeated and waited for a response.

“El...Elyssa,” it moaned again.

Elyssa couldn’t wait any longer. If that was Annette, she had to help. With her mind made up, she rushed to her side and knelt down.

“Annette, are you okay?” she asked.

“...It..hurts...”

“What hurts? Annette, what can I do?” Elyssa could feel the pangs of desperation as she asked. She looked her up and down but couldn’t see anything wrong with her.

“Elysaa...I need...I need you to...,” she said, her voice fading, as she reached out her hand.

“What? You need me to what?” Elyssa asked, leaning in closer.

“I need...I need you to...DIE!” she screamed as she lunged at Elyssa. Her hand missed grabbing Elyssa by a fraction of an inch as Elyssa fell backwards. Before she could make another move, Annette, or whatever it was, was flying through the air at her with her mouth gaped open, lined with rows of tiny, sharp teeth. Elyssa tried to push herself away but the creature had wrapped her hand around Elyssa’s ankle.

It lunged again and again, with Elyssa barely dodging its attacks. With every lunge it grabbed further up her leg, making it more difficult for Elyssa to protect herself. It was happening so fast, that it didn’t leave Elyssa any time to cast a spell or even attempt some type of counter attack. All she could do was attempt to push it away to keep it off balance as she concentrated on avoiding its bite.

Faster and faster, the attacks came and before Elyssa knew it the creature was straddling her, pinning her arms to the floor.

“What are you?” Elyssa asked with fear and anger in her voice. The creature grinned maliciously as it looked into Elyssa’s eyes. It gave her goosebumps seeing something that resembled Annette and yet was so sinister looking at the same time.

Its head snapped back as its mouth opened wide, readying itself for the fatal blow. Elyssa turned her head away as she cringed, waiting for the bittersweet bite of death to envelope her. Out of the corner of her eye she saw the creature launch its head forward, its jaws tense and ready to rip at her flesh. She started to scream as a brilliant flash of light nearly blinded her, followed by a loud howl of pain that was deafening.