Chapter 33 - Elyssa's Sacrifice

"Mom, watch out!" Annette yelled as one of the pudgy creatures lunged forward with its primitive, makeshift club. Alicia turned just as the creature began its swing. She didn't have time to cast a spell. All she could do was raise her hands and close her eyes, bracing for the painful impact.

A loud crunch followed, yet Alicia realized she didn't feel a bit of pain. She opened her eyes, expecting to see some type of wound, and thinking the shock of being hit may have been why she wasn't feeling pain. Instead, she was greeted by Shannon's smiling face and the creature sprawled at her feet in a green blooded clump.

"That would have left a mark," Shannon quipped.

"I think it did," Alicia replied, noticing that Shannon had hit the creature hard enough to cave in its skull, "Remind me not to get on your bad side," she added with a wink. Shannon couldn't help but blush a bit. Even though she lacked spells that caused harm, it was nice knowing that she could dish it out when needed, even if it was sans magic. It made her feel a tiny bit more useful than she sometimes felt about herself, seeing that she didn't possess the full extent of powers the others did.

"I think that was the last of them," Annette remarked as she joined them, clearly exhausted from the battle. Just as they were about to relax, a battle cry sounded. A creature, accidentally buried under the bodies of his comrades during the fight, had pulled himself free and was now rushing towards Shannon.

She ducked, having no time to do anything else to defend herself. Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a movement, and a moment later the creature was gushing its green ichor towards her. She avoided most of it, although a sizable clump landed on her shoulder and splattered her face. She looked over to Tobias, who stood wagging his tail over the dead creatures body. She could have sworn he was grinning at her, as she wiped the slop from her face and shoulder.

"Thanks Tobias. I'll remember that next time you're in splattering distance of one of them," Shannon stated, slightly amused, "You know, you guys could warn me next time so that I can dress appropriately for being covered in gunk. I wonder if they have any stylish hazmat suits for sale on..."

She stopped, realizing that something else had caught the other's attention, and they now had a look of worry covering their faces.

"...What is it?" she asked, moving beside them to get a better view. Her eyes followed theirs to the alley, where she saw a body laying on the ground, and Leo beside another.

"Someone's hurt...badly." Annette didn't need to say anything more, and it was obvious from the look on everyones faces that what she said was an understatement.

Shannon could feel her voice getting caught in her throat as she asked, "...Elyssa?"

Annette shook her head, "Dewdrop."

A wave of despair hit Shannon, "We have to help her." Shannon started to run towards her, but Annette grabbed her arm and pulled her back.

"No!"

"What do you mean, no! She's hurt. We can't—"

"Yes we can...We can't help her."

"Why would you say that?! You're just going to let her die?!"

"If we try to help, we're all likely dead," Annette spoke, "The other body on the ground, it's Dantes. He's changing, hanging by a thread, if he hasn't turned already. Once he does, there's no help for any of us."

"Changing to what?"

"His demonic side is taking over, and it's far stronger than any of us can handle. For all we know, he's the one that hurt Dewdrop. Leo's there. I think it's best if we let him handle it, and do what we can from afar," Annette concluded.