1

The way most people see fairy tale characters has always been a mystery to me. Most of  us are looked at as role models for young children or just shameful beings that no one should ever want to be. And then there are some others who are not put under a category, but are of their own kind. I, however, have no idea what I'm supposed to be on this land of misfits and villains. Living on The Isle of The Lost has a few perks, but mainly downsides. That's not just speaking for me, but for everyone who lives on the Isle.

Kids who practically grew up here like me have no idea what's right in front of them because they're stuck on this punishment of an Isle that was mainly created for their parents, not them. In all my ten years of living here I do wonder what is beyond that barrier that they call Auradon. Is it as magical as everyone says it is? Is it true everyone gets their happily ever after? Or is it just depicted that way by people like me who think anything is better than living on a rotting island with no way out?

It's not like The Isle is the worst place to be, it's just not for me. Everyone knows it. Everyone says I don't belong here, and they might be right, but who am I to just up and leave? I have friends here who care about me. I have a loving mother. Plus, I've gotten to know this place like the back of my hand. I know all the sewer routs, and long trails leading to the best hang outs. Living on The Isle isn't so bad, but no matter how much I want to believe I was meant to be here it's pretty obvious that this is no place for a girl like me.

"Ellie,", the familiar voice was coming closer but I didn't bother turning around to see who it was. I heard footsteps run up behind me but soon slowed down as it was made pretty clear that wasn't going to give any sign to show that I knew they were there. "everybody's looking for you. I thought a pirate might've tried something on you again or-"

"Jay, I'm okay. I just needed a little space.", I said, quietly staring out at the barrier. Finding a place to just sit and think wasn't easy here, but when I could find one I didn't take it for granted. I didn't realize how long I had stayed in this place until I looked out and saw the sky beginning to get dark. "And I can handle the pirates just fine. They don't scare me."

Jay scoffed. "Yeah, you say that now, but then before you know it I'm gonna be out looking for you through the streets of the pirates because you decide to go wandering off and could get yourself hurt."

I sighed and rolled my eyes. Jay has always been protective of me since we were little. It was just an instinct of him to treat me like I'm a piece of glass that could shatter at any moment when put in harms way. As much as I'm annoyed with it, I can't help but find it cute.

"You're always worried about me. Have you ever thought that you could get hurt too?"

"Oh please, I can take on whoever comes at me. You on the other hand-"

"Can take care of myself.", I interrupted. "Jay, I'm ten, not five. I can stand up for myself. I don't need to be babied all the time."

He could tell that I was a little tense, but just shrugged it off. He knew when I had moments like these it was best just to leave me alone, but instead he decided to stay and be nosy. "What happened?"

I looked down at my feet, leaning on the cracked window. "Nothing. Just go, I'll be down in a minute."

He sighed at my standoff-ish attitude, but knew I didn't mean anything by it. "It's a cool place that you found here." He looked around to see what looked like an abandoned upper warehouse area splattered with paint. There were a few couches, chairs, shattered mirrors- nothing different from any other place on the island, but it was quiet. "This is Lady Tremaine's spot isn't it?"