Chapter 5 - COME AND GET IT

••••
If you want it, here it is
Come and get it.
Make your mind up fast.
••••

John ended up on the couch once again, this time next to George and the blonde dancer who both seemed to be enjoying each other's company.

"Margaret," she introduced herself to John with a smile.

"Charmed," John replied and turned his attention to Ringo who was walking towards the couch.

"I'm heading out," Ringo said to John. "I'm knackered, and Mo stayed at the flat to watch the show. She's probably waiting up for me."

"Already?" John exclaimed looking at his wristwatch. "It's only just past midnight."

"Aye, it's been a long one. Just need a night's rest is all."

John got up and walked with Ringo towards the front door. Neil had apparently already called a car for Ringo, as there was one waiting outside on the street. John watched Ringo disappear inside the car and then closed the door to return to the party.

"Escaping already?" Ruby asked.

"Oi, you seem to just appear out of thin air!" John exclaimed, startled again by how he didn't hear her approaching.

Ruby laughed, "Magic!" and struck a pose with one hand lifted above her head. "Seriously though, are you leaving? The night is young!"

"No, no. Just seeing Ringo off. He was heading home for a kip."

"Well that's a shame," Ruby replied, "but I'm glad you're staying." After a small silence she added, "Would you like to see the garden? I could give you a quick tour."

John's eyebrows grew closer to each other as he showed his confusion. The garden? he thought. This bird wants to show me a damn garden in January?

"Sure, why not?" he replied, curious to see what her point was.

"Follow me."

They made their way through the crowded living room, walking past Paul who had moved from the piano to a large, floral patterned chair. John almost didn't see him at first because he was partially blocked by Rhonda sitting on his lap, batting her eyelashes only inches from his face. 

Ruby continued into the kitchen, John following closely behind. She paused briefly to speak to a group of partygoers standing at the counter, and John watched her as she effortlessly smiled and laughed with the group. Normally he would jump in to the conversation with a joke or quip, but for reasons he didn't quite understand, John simply stood there and observed Ruby.

"Just through here," Ruby turned to John, breaking away from the small group.

She twisted the knob to a narrow back door just off the side of the kitchen, and stepped through the doorway. John was still a bit wary of checking out some backyard garden, but he was curious as to why Ruby wanted to show it to him. He placed his scotch and coke down on the kitchen counter and followed her through the narrow exit.

Stepping down three brick stairs, John looked around at the yard. It was an incredibly mild January night, and the lights from the houses and street lamps nearby made it feel as if it were dusk instead of the dead of night.

The yard itself was somewhat small but it was filled with an abundance of flowerpots and garden beds. Most were empty but there were some that contained small plants that could apparently tolerate cold temperatures. Large stepping stones created pathways to different sections of the yard. John looked around and saw that Ruby had made her way to a tall arbor trellis in the corner. 

"This grapevine was started by my grandmother," Ruby stated, placing her hand on the bare wooden vine that snaked its way up and around the trellis. "This used to be her house. She said that everyone told her she was foolish to try and grow grapes, but she certainly proved them wrong. It's been producing lovely grapes every summer for decades now."

John didn't respond immediately, but when Ruby didn't appear to have anything more to add, he asked, "Is this what you wanted to show me, then?"

Ruby laughed. "No, of course not. To be completely honest, I just needed an excuse to get you away for a moment." She turned from the grapevine to face John. "You seemed a bit of a loner in there, standing at the bar by yourself. Then I find you at the front door - I thought you might be bored with the party."

"No, not at all," John replied, not wanting to admit that he had been preoccupied with watching her most of the evening. "Just a bit tired I suppose. It's been a lot of time on the road lately. Not much sleep."

Ruby nodded understandingly. She crossed her arms and rubbed them with her hands. While the weather was on the mild side for January, it was still rather chilly, especially for someone in a sleeveless gown. John removed his suit jacket and stepped closer to Ruby.

"You'll catch pneumonia out here dressed in that," he said, placing his jacket around Ruby's shoulders.

She looked up at John's face, which was now only a few inches from her own. "Thank you," she replied, still keeping her eyes trained on his.

There was an electricity between them, yet neither moved. John was somewhat surprised by Ruby's sudden aloofness. She had led him outside, gotten him alone, and had now positioned herself inches from him, yet she seemed to stare at him with a hint of amusement behind her eyes. John was certain that Ruby would have gone in for a kiss by now, but instead the pair stood facing each other, their lips mere inches away from each other's, and Ruby wasn't budging.

Perhaps I read her wrong, John thought as he continued to gaze silently at Ruby. Or maybe she's waiting for me to make the first move.

John leaned in and kissed Ruby, placing a hand on the back of her neck. He felt her body soften and lean into him as she returned the kiss. In contrast, he felt part of his own body stiffen in response to her, and he pressed the hardness of his erection into the softness of her upper thigh.

John felt Ruby's hand running down the front of his white button-down shirt. Each button made a small clicking sound as her fingernails hit it. Reaching his belt, her hand traveled farther down until she was rubbing John's hard member through the outside of his pants. This made John tighten his grasp on the back of Ruby's neck, and he parted her lips with his tongue.

The sounds of light traffic came from the side street as John's hand made its way to find Ruby's breast. He cupped it, squeezing lightly through the silky fabric of her dress as she continued to rub his arousal.

"Is there a room...?" John panted, breaking away from the kiss.

The backdoor suddenly swung open and voices cascaded out into the garden. Ruby quickly pulled away from John before they were noticed, putting a hand up to her hair and attempting to smooth it. 

"No, no, you have to appear that way, but it's all really just for show," a man's voice boomed through the night air.

John shot a look towards the backdoor and saw Brian and the group of businessmen he had been chatting with earlier. They were all standing around the back steps pulling out cigars and sharing a zippo lighter, one by one.

Before John had even turned back to Ruby, he felt something being shoved into his arms. Looking down, he saw it was his suit jacket. When he looked back up Ruby was walking briskly towards the group of men, leaving John alone in the corner of the garden, still fully aroused.