Chapter 36 - MISERY

••••
I'm the kind of guy
Who never used to cry.
The world is treating me bad, Misery.
I've lost her now for sure.
I won't see her no more.
It's going to be a drag,
Misery.
••••

The view from inside John's Rolls Royce was amusing. The dark tinted windows prevented anyone outside from knowing who was in the car, and the loudspeaker John had installed allowed him to speak anonymously to anyone within hearing distance of the speakers.

Seeing as how there was little to do in the remote filming location in Spain, John was more than thankful that he had decided to have his personal car brought along. He had spent the past week practically living in it.

"Pip, pip. Move along!" John spoke poshly through the microphone to the pedestrians as his car passed them. "Step away from the car!"

Neil had accompanied John in his travels to Carboneras, Spain a week ago after having completed the portion of filming in Germany. Cynthia and Julian joined them shortly after. All in all, the experience had been relatively pleasant so far, with the exception of having to be up at 6:00 AM every morning for filming.

****

"Excuse me?"

John was seated in the makeup chair when a female voice appeared behind him.

"Mr. Lennon? I'm sorry to disturb you," the voice continued. "I have a message to deliver to you."

John turned his head to see a somewhat short and rather plump young lady standing next to him. He recognized her as one of the production assistants he had seen flittering around the set. "Well let's have it, then," he replied, reaching out his hand.

"I don't have it written down," the young lady said with an apologetic smile. "It seems to be more of a 'word of mouth' type message. Pam told Dick, and then he told me..."

"All right," John motioned with his hands for her to speed things up. "Well he told you and now you tell me, yes? What's the bloody message?"

"Someone named Sandra has been trying to reach you. Um..." she furrowed her brow, apparently trying to remember the rest of the message. "She needs you to phone her as soon as you can. Something about the... tour being cut short? Yes, that's it."

"Tour being...?" John echoed.

Fuck, John thought. In the entire week he had been in Spain he had completely forgotten to ring Sandra and give her his updated contact information to pass along to Ruby.

"What about the tour being cut short?" John asked, standing up from his chair. "What's the rest of the message?"

"Um... that's it. Someone named Sandra needs you to phone her because the tour got cut short." The young woman nodded her head with almost every word as if reciting her lines in a play.

"Where the nearest phone?" John looked around the makeup trailer hoping to see one.

"The production trailer, probably."

John took off practically running past the assistant. This can't be good. Why would Ruby's tour get cut short?"

It took John a few minutes before he was able to find the production trailer. The smattering of various trailers surrounding the filming location all looked exactly the same. After a bit of finagling and sweet talking from John, one of the secretaries finally agreed to make the international call for him from her desk phone.