Chapter 18 - I'M SO TIRED

••••
You'd say I'm putting you on.
But it's no joke,
It's doing me harm.
You know I can't sleep,
I can't stop my brain.
You know it's three weeks,
I'm going insane.
You know I'd give you everything I've got
For a little peace of mind.
••••

Hammering, sawing, and the constant clamor of construction workers was slowly driving John insane. Six months had passed since the Easter holiday in Ireland, and a lot had happened since then; a new home being the biggest change.

In July, John and Cynthia had purchased Kenwood - a large house on the exclusive St. George's Hill Estate. The couple had created a long list of renovations to be done to their new home, but decided to move in while the work was underway. Unfortunately, this meant they were confined to the staff flat at the top of the house.

The closeness and intimacy John had shared with Cynthia during the weekend in Ireland had been lovely, even with the unwanted interruption by the press. John had attempted to retain that feeling once they returned home to London, but it was short lived. The demands of filming, along with the constant slew of television and radio appearances had thrown him right back into his old routines.

Once filming for A Hard Day's Night wrapped up, the group had taken three weeks off before jumping into a world tour, complete with excesses of women, alcohol, and general partying. By the time John had returned home from the tour, he was a pile of exhaustion. Of course, being a Beatle left him no time to recover, and purchasing the new house only compounded the situation.

"I swear to Christ, Cyn!" John bellowed. "If I trip over another fucking toy I'm going to chuck them all out the bloody window!"

"I'm sorry, John. I'm trying my best to keep up with everything, but there's just not enough room for all of this stuff up here."

Julian was now 16 months old and a bundle of toddler energy. He was running full speed through the small flat on the top floor of Kenwood, dodging furniture and boxes, and leaving a strew of toys in his wake.

"Can't you bloody take him outside or something?" John asked, kicking blocks and stuffed animals out of his way.

"I've tried that," Cynthia explained. "The last time I had him out there he picked up two stray nails and almost put them in his mouth! There's just too much construction debris out there."

John sighed. They had moved into Kenwood a month ago, and the construction was set to go on for another eight months.  "This fucking American tour is coming at just the right time," John muttered. The Beatles would be leaving again for America in just a few days. "I can't bloody live like this."

Cynthia attempted to wrangle Julian and occupy him with some wooden stacking rings while she picked up various other toys. "Having my mother here will be a lot of help. An extra set of eyes and hands will make all the difference."

With a groan, John stalked out of the small living room. Cynthia's mother would be joining her in the new house while John was on tour. The bloody old bat will be moved in by the time I get back, John thought to himself.

Now in the bedroom, John rifled through some clothes hanging in the too-small closet. Brian Epstein was having a party at his home that evening, and Ruby would be there.