Chapter 25 - GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE

••••
I was alone, I took a ride.
I didn't know what I would
find there.
Another road where maybe I could see another kind of
mind there.
Ooh, then I suddenly see you.
Ooh, did I tell you I need you?
••••

John sat in the car staring at the door to Ruby's first floor flat. Alf had pulled up to the building ten minutes ago, but John had made no attempt to get out of the car.

"You all right, boss?" Alf asked. "You did say Ruby's, right? I could've sworn that's what I heard you say. I asked 'where to' and you replied -"

"Yes, Alf," John replied just to shut him up. "Thank you."

"Right-o, boss."

John opened the car door and stepped out. Before closing it he leaned back inside. "Wait here. I might be five minutes or I might be five hours."

"Sure thing, boss," Alf replied.

John walked to the front door and stood there for a moment before finally knocking. Soon after, the door swung open revealing Sandra on the other side.

"Oh!" Sandra said with a look of great surprise. "Well, hello there!"

John gave a small nod. "Hello, yourself. Is Ruby home, by chance?"

"Yes. Yes of course," Sandra replied and stepped aside to allow John to enter. "She and Lionel are in the kitchen."

John froze for the briefest second, although it was so small that Sandra didn't even seem to notice. "Lionel?" he asked, as nonchalantly as possible.

"Yes. Mr. Bart."

What is it with Ruby and these queers? John thought. She's out with Eppy every damn night, and she has fucking Lionel Bart over so often he might as well live here. As quickly as the thought went through his head he suddenly knew the answer. It all made perfect sense.

"They're in the kitchen," Sandra repeated, breaking John's train of thought, "if you'd like to join them..."

Before John could even take a step, the kitchen door swung open and a laughing Ruby walked out followed by Lionel. She froze as soon as she laid eyes on John, but quickly recovered.

"Well this is certainly a surprise!" Ruby exclaimed, placing a hand on her chest.

"John," Lionel acknowledged with a nod and stuck his hand out to shake John's. "I wasn't aware you boys were back home."

"Mmm," John nodded as he shook Lionel's hand. "Home from America for a few weeks now."

"Brilliant," Lionel responded. "Well, I would love to catch up but I was actually just on my way out. I've got a meeting scheduled with Harvey, and managed to make myself late due to the lovely company of Miss Cohen, here."

"Next time, then," John replied with a smile that did not reach his eyes.

"Next time." Lionel placed a kiss on Ruby's cheek and then one on Sandra's. He headed for the door and was gone.

Ruby took a deep breath and John watched a silent exchange of looks between her and Sandra.

"I'll go clean up in the kitchen," Sandra finally said and turned to walk away.

Once Sandra was gone Ruby stared at John for a brief moment and then walked across the room into the lounge. John didn't move immediately. He was debating whether or not to just make a break for the front door when Ruby's voice cut through his thoughts.