Chapter 32 - HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN

••••
When I hold you in my arms,
And I feel my finger on your trigger,
I know nobody can do me no harm.
••••

"They're all lightweights, they are!" John laughed. "Can't even make it through the entire night." He looked down at the watch on his wrist, confirming that it was indeed morning. 

Mick let out a loud laugh and slapped John on the shoulder. "Not you, Lennon. You held out unlike those other wankers."

It was dawn on the 21st of May, and John had spent the entire night partying with Mick Jagger at Dolly's Nightclub in London. Originally the crowd had included quite a few more people; Paul, Ringo, Maureen, Keith Moon, John Entwistle, and a few others. By dawn the group was down to just Mick and John, along with their ladies, Chrissie Shrimpton and Cynthia.

"Should we head there?" Chrissie asked. "Do you think the shops are open yet?"

"Might as well, yeah?" Mick responded.

This impromptu all-nighter had stemmed from Chrissie's idea to do some shopping on the popular Portobello Road. No one in the group would ever wake up early enough, so it was decided that it would be best to simply stay up all night and head there first thing in the morning. John was never one to pass up a party or an outing, so he was more than willing to stick around. Drugs and alcohol had helped to keep the group busy as they whiled away the hours in one of their favorite London hotspots.

The two couples slowly made their way out of the dimly lit nightclub. The morning air was brisk, but the sun was shining and the birds were chirping. John slid on a pair of dark sunglasses and lit a cigarette as Cynthia linked her arm in his.

It was just past 7:30 AM when the group arrived at Portobello Road, and the stall owners were just starting to set up shop. Their faces were all absolutely amazed as they recognized John and Mick walking past. After having tea at a local cafe, the group began their shopping.

Mick was immediately drawn to some red drummer-boy jackets. John soon found a corduroy jacket he liked, and both of the ladies also ended up finding a few items for themselves as well.

"Bloody hell, look at that!" John blurted. "Now that is exactly what I need!"

A long, old timey, one-piece bathing suit was draped over a metal hanger. John knew in an instant that he wanted it.

"What the fuck?" Mick laughed. "You should put it on now and wear it down the street, ya tosser!"

"I have to try it out! Make sure it's actually swimmable!" John handed the clerk a few shillings as he continued. "Everyone has to come back to Kenwood for a swim!"

Chrissie gave John a sideways look. "It's too bloody cold for a swim!"

"Ah-ha! Way ahead of you on that," John said with a playful pat on her head. "Heated pool, birdy. Beat that!"

****

"That was an interesting day, wasn't it?" Cynthia asked as she settled down into the bed with John.

"I think it was quite nice," John replied. "Could've done without Mick's bird bringing her damn dog over, though. Fuckin' thing jumped in the pool!"