04

oriflamme

oriflamme

(n.) a symbol or standard that inspired confidence, courage, or devotion

««•»»

Peter could feel the eyes on him whenever he moved, the scrutinized gazes following his every step since that night. Sure, Beacon Hills was already known for their unsolved murders and attacks that couldn't logically be explained but this was a whole new feat. Peter Hale, quiet and tame sounded more dangerous to the packs ears than when he was murdering people for power. "If you have something to say, just say it. Stop staring at me and whispering under your breath like I'm not right in front of you."

"What's wrong with you?" Isaac bluntly questions, curious crisp blue eyes on the former alpha. "You're being quiet and not evil, which leads us to believe you're planning something evil behind our backs."

"Believe whatever you want," Peter brushed it off, not answering with his usual suave and sarcasm. "Nothing is wrong with me."

Further prodding, Isaac continued. "Is it because of that girl? The one in the picture you always carry around. What, is she dead or something?"

"Or something," Peter answers vaguely, hope still present in his heart after his last encounter with her. He felt her, that's what he clung to, the possibility that he could get her back. "Don't you have bigger things to deal with? Like the fact that Stiles is having nightmares and Allison is daydreaming different dimensions or maybe Scott, how's his little gift been working lately?"

Taking a step back at the taunting tone underlying in Peter's husky voice, Isaac accepted defeat but that didn't stop him from having the last word. "Better than seeing my dead girlfriend who is in fact dead because of me."

Standing quickly, Peter was before Isaac, his clawed hand wrapped firmly around his neck so swiftly that by time the beta's body was pinned to he wall his baby blue eyes were wide and he was gasping for breath. "Watch your mouth, pup." The older man growled, his eyes glowing a threatening blue, his fangs begging to push forward and fully threaten the teen but he refrained. "You don't know a damn thing about her so keep your lips sealed or I'll do it for you."

The eyes of all in the room were focused on Peter, exchanging glances and looks of worry having not seen the man react so harshly, even in his worst moment he'd always held together with sarcasm or some other form of aggression but it usually never panned out, but right now, Peter was so angry they could see his hands shaking the moment he'd let go of his dangerous grip around Isaac's neck.

Turning to break the connection with the teen, Peter shut his eyes taking long deep breaths to keep himself sane, he could feel when the tingle of his glowing eyes eased down and faded back into his normal blue, claws retracted back into place.

"Just leave me alone."

The former alpha retreated back to his room, shutting his room door and taking a seat on the edge of his head. His elbows rested on his knees, large hands holding onto his face as he took in a deep, shuddered breath. He stayed in place for a long time, not really sure of how much time had passed until he shot up, a tingling jolt in his spine, his eyes flashing their color before fading out just as quickly.

It was like a tether inside him was being pulled, tugging his body from the inside out. Following the feeling, Peter rushed out the room, running down the stairs and out of the loft so quickly he barely remembered it. He ran, legs pumping arms following suit to allow his body to go faster, push harder, get wherever this feeling was forcing him to go.

When he stopped it wasn't as far this time, he was still in Beacon, but remained hidden in the dense forestry the town provided. "I shouldn't have done that," Her voice cut through the silence like the sharpest of knifes, but it was so gentle and smooth like a warm blanket.

"Andrea," Peter breathlessly whispered, turning to face her and he nearly died just then. His heart was beating so fast, thumping so hard against his chest cavity he was sure that the woman before him could see he outline of his organ. "You're here, you're alive."

"Peter, you must listen to me." She was different now, she was slimmer and seemed much more guarded, her beautiful blue eyes darting around her every once in a while to assess her surroundings, making sure nothing had changed; making sure that there wasn't a threat. "There is something coming, something very bad and I need you fight it."

He took a step forward, one of his hands reaching out for her to touch her skin. "Anything."

"No, this isn't some romance novel. This is not a joke, this is bad, something much worse. You must fight it."

"Don't leave me," He begged, taking note of the tone that she held. One of such finality, her feet were moving backwards, their hands slowly breaking apart. "Not again."

Andrea gave him a sad smile, her clear irises glistening with a thin sheet of tears but she blinked it away hastily. "You will have me again, I promise. Just fight it."

"I will, I won't let you go this time, I swear it."

"I trust you, just fight it."

The darkness was too dark after she disappeared from his sight, it was empty and lonely; he hated the feeling. Peter walked home, his steps slow and sluggish and he took so much longer to get back than he needed to, but everything was quickly becoming so much.

"You're back?" Derek quips once the man stepped into the shared loft, his dark brows furrowing upwards at the expression on his uncles face. "What happened?"

"Something's coming, something bad and we have to fight it." He repeated numbly, his words coming out like a mantra.

"Something like what? How do you know this?"

Derek saw the distant look in his uncles eye, the one the signified he wasn't in any condition to be answering any questions. Instead of drilling him like he'd planned after hearing the urgent warning, Derek rested a firm hand on Peters shoulder. It was a warm comfort that the former alpha hadn't received in years, a form of stability he hadn't had in so long it had his shoulders shaking and tears coming out of his eyes. "I saw her, Derek. She was right in front of me, she touched me and she spoke to me and I don't know what's coming for sure, but all I know is that she said we need to fight and I will fight."

Not knowing anything to verbally give to the man as assurance, Derek simply nodded and that seemed to be everything Peter needed.

Well, almost.