08

lucunaf

lucunaf

(n.) a blank space, a missing part

««•»»

Andrea had known that she shouldn't have expected Peter to be the same as he had been nearly ten years ago. The kind, sweet Peter who would harmlessly throw sarcastic comments had been changed into someone cold and cruel, the sarcasm he spoke used as a weapon instead of a conversation starter. She wasn't sure why this was bothering her so much, but each time their eyes connected she was having a harder time finding the Peter she fell in love with, the Peter she'd given her life for.

"There are more important things for you to do rather than stare at me all day. There's a dark spirit possessing bodies and killing people, but if you don't deem that as very important then you can leave."

"It's not like you care anyway," She spat back quickly, his head lifting in surprise at the venom in her tone. "You don't really care about who the Nogitsune is killing, as long as it's not you, you couldn't give a damn." Now that all the newly built up anger and confusion she'd held against Peter was starting to pour out, Andrea was struggling to grab ahold of herself and stop the words she was speaking. "You're so selfish, Peter. For once, stop thinking about yourself and care about someone else."

"I did and look where that got me. My body was burned and I was in a coma by myself, no family, no girlfriend, nothing. I've spent my fair share of time caring and if you don't like the new me, then you can go right back to the grave you dug yourself out of."

As soon as he finished talking he regretted it, his shoulders slumping and his resolve cracking at the expression on her face. Her pretty blue eyes were filled with hurt and her fists were clenched at her side, not out of anger but to anchor herself to where she was standing so her knees wouldn't give out. "You know," She whispered, wiping away at the tear that fell from her eye. "—not once had I ever regretted giving my life for you, until now. I'll do this by myself so my caring doesn't negatively affect you."

Peter stepped towards her as he watched her leave, slamming the lofts door shut in her wake. "Not the best way to win her back if that's what you were going for."

"Who said I was trying to win her back?"

"You until a few hours ago." Derek retorts, flipping pages of countless books trying to find some sort of clue or answer to the problems they were having. "You were willing to give up your life to figure out what was happening to her and now she's back and breathing and you can't stop yourself from being an ass for a second."

Crossing his arms over his chest, Peter heard what Derek was saying and he wasn't exactly wrong. "Somethings different about her, Derek. Who's to say she isn't the one causing all this trouble?"

"No one but if she is, she came to you to help her fix it."

Peter's shoulders sagged, his brain replaying all the wrong things he'd said since Andrea had returned. Everything that could've possibly gone wrong had been playing out and it was one hundred perfect his fault and he was well aware of it. "So, what do I do? Apologize to her?"

"Andy isn't much of an apology type girl, especially with the shots you were firing at her. Prove to her that you care and mean it, then she won't have a choice but to take you back." Derek spoke so easily, so sure that that's exactly what it would take to have everything Peter had ever wanted. It was being presented to him with a shiny little bow and he still had trouble unwrapping it. "She'll have a head start but you're a werewolf, you run pretty fast."

"I wouldn't even know where to find her."

"Really?" The green eyed hale gave Peter a pointed look, his thin pink lips pursed in a straight light. "There's only one place she'd possibly go if her first choice didn't work out."

Peter groaned upon realization. "He hates me."

"Then stop giving him a reason to."

For once, Peter followed the good advice he was given, making his way to the auto shop where Andrea's brother would be, hopefully with the headstrong blonde girl. Her car was parked out front, mumbled talking being heard with his enhanced hearing.

Following the voices, he didn't stop until he was met with Andrea and Kyle both leaning against a table, papers strewn across it. "Here to help me with the shovel?"

"No, I'm actually here to help. I was wrong earlier and I do care so please let me help."

The state she bore into his soul made him fidget in place, compensating his discomfort in sarcasm and snide comments had always been something Peter had done. Andrea had always been so good at breaking that down, calling him out on his shit and held him accountable for his actions. "We figured there was something we were missing," Kyle's deep voice broke the silence first, him far too washed out from the supernatural scene to wait a moment longer and have it be interfered with the silent treatment. "The dark spirit is an obvious one but there's something else coming into play here too."

"Actually, yeah. Derek and the rest of his pack were checked by something called Oni. Looked like ninja's in black armor, they took swords out of their chests. So, I figure that could be apart of it too."

Peter could see the glance shared between the siblings, an unspoken conversation taking place. "We're familiar with the type, they're next to impossible to take down."

"Mostly because they're summoned and not simply there. Oni only search for one thing, the dark kitsune, otherwise called a nogitsune. Someone possessed with a nogitsune no matter who they are, are killed therefore taking away the nogitsune's host and their life all in one."

"Do these things really discriminate in the bodies they host or is it free game?"

"Not exactly, they need someone with a weakness of sorts. Physically, their appearance doesn't matter because once they're possessed, the nogitsune can take over and use whatever powers he holds. Mentally, the host needs to have a gap or something that makes it easier to evade, the trickiest part is who it could be. The nogitsune doesn't want to be found, more than likely its chosen a body that blends in and is the most discreet."

"So, how do we find out who is harboring a thousand year old spirit if the spirit inside of it can trick you into believing they're the person they're inside of?"

"Well, they are tricksters but they aren't perfect, there's always a tell. We just have to watch and figure out who it is before the Oni do or it's going to be too late."

All of the many factors didn't seem to be placed together in their favor and they'd succeeded lesser odds but this one was a little closer to home than usual.