3

LEFT BEHIND LIFE

The cool New York breezed through his jet black curls, each one swaying a different way than the other, a sense of peace forming in his chest. The woman he loved was constantly on his mind and had been for the passed year,

A year, he thought to himself, his heart rattling with guilt, regret, and heartache.

The one he loved wasn't the one he was married to. The one he tried to work things out with, the past wouldn't make up for her wrong doings, and he couldn't contain his feelings.

Derek felt that if he bottled everything inside of him for too long that it'd all come out, rash, maybe even harsh, he'd desperately tried to tell Addison but she wouldn't hear any of it, she'd change the subject at the sight of his puppy love eyes.

There was something different about this morning, something about the way the wind swayed, how his heart was becoming overwhelmed with emotion, it felt like he was missing a part of him and only she held the last piece.

His thumb painfully covered over the phone buttons, gliding over each digit, the caller ID popping up, the final button to hit call. The thought of her sweet voice or her perfect giggle gave him goosebumps down his arms, tingling through to his legs.

"Hey, meet you at home?" Snapping him away from doing what he knew was right, there stood a very tired looking Addison.

"Sure, see you there." He gave her a simple kiss on the cheek, denying her attempt for his affection.

She'd worked the night shift and he knew that, that would mean he'd get to be in New York's finest hospital without her lurking around the corners watching his every move.

He felt that with Meredith he wanted her to pop around the corner, to surprise him with coffee or even to drag him into an on call room for a simple five minutes just to hear his voice.

It was a high that he felt around her, one that no drug could ever provide for a person. One that was unforgettable, and certainly undeniable to the naked eye. He felt that hunger, that want to be with her, just to get the chance to hold her hand, to hear her laugh, to simply talk with her.

But Derek knew that until Addison listened to him, that he'd always be stuck.

So here he was standing in front of the hospital he'd been working at for almost a year, his hands stuffed into his pockets, product in his hair, his shiny ice-like eyes glazed over with a powerful emotion, the one of desire.

"Hey man, you coming in or what?" A man that worked there, his name Will, spoke with a half laugh.

Derek contemplated the question, looking at the man he'd become acquaintances with, he had no real friends here, everything was back at his real home, the one with Meredith.

So, the question hung in the hair, light puffs of smoke out of their lips from the cold weather, the man huffed utterly torn, his chest felt heavy, and the question that the man in front of him was asking seemed impossible to answer.

But there was that phone again, the one with Meredith's picture on it, he looked down at his phone, sliding a finger across her face, a thin smile reaching his eyes.

Derek lifted his head to the man,

"I-I uh, I've got some business to take care of back in Seattle. Cover for me?"

Without giving time to Will to respond, Derek turned around and got into his Mercedes, his face flushed with its natural color that he'd lacked, the excitement giving off adrenaline through his veins. Pumping in his ears, the mission, there wasn't a sure plan, but he knew,

He had to get Meredith back before it was too late.