8

LEFT BEHIND LIFE

A year ago.

"Welcome home, you have a nice day at work?" Addison Montgomery gave her husband a genuine smile as he walked through the door.

"It was okay, the people are nice, busy day." He responded simply, getting straight to the point.

Derek desperately tried to smile at her, even if it was a fake one, but he was utterly depressed. Not being around his friends from Seattle was killing him inside, he missed everyone, even the people he despised, but especially the one he loved.

"I got some food earlier, the fridge is stocked up...I have a shift early tomorrow so maybe we could go to bed?" She asked.

His shoulders slumped, this was what he was here for, he'd chosen his wife and he had to live with it. That included everything, kissing, hugging, the bedroom. He didn't want to in that moment.

He felt homesick.

"I'm just gonna catch a shower." He said curtly as he swiftly made his way to the bathroom, not giving her the chance to speak.

Derek knew it was wrong, the woman in the living room didn't deserve this, she didn't deserve to be mistreated, to be spoken rudely to. It was all because he couldn't let himself be happy and chose doing the right thing over his own happiness.

He stripped off his work clothes, stepping into the steaming shower, the scorching water prickling his back and flowing through his hair, it felt refreshing, this was the only time he could be alone.

Derek let all his emotions out as he cried silently in the shower, he was miserable and couldn't face the fact that he'd done this to himself and that's what made him frustrated.

So that night he stayed on the couch, watching the news and letting it play as back-round noise.

Everyday the heartache got worse and worse for him, he missed her, but didn't ever act on it.

  Now.

"Hey."

He whispered the shock that she was actually in front of him made his mind race and his thoughts jumble, he didn't feel sad anymore and the old spark of excitement lit back up in a fiery lust.

Meredith was speechless as he caught her outside of her house, her heart felt like it wasn't beating and everything moved slow, he hadn't changed much, but his hair was longer and she enjoyed that change, she'd always had a thing for long curly hair. But also fear crept up her back, she'd have to tell him about the baby that slept upstairs with Izzie on watch.

"Can we talk?" He asked sheepishly, running a hand through his hair nervously.

Meredith plumped down on the steps, looking up at him, her eyes already wavering with emotion, she watched as he cautiously took a seat next to her.

"Let's talk."