Harrison

A/N: Hello! Thanks again for reading! Starting now, we're going back to the beginning: 10 months before the prologue. The chapters from here on out move forward, and we'll hit that scene from the prologue in middle of the book. Looking forward to your feedback!

--

Ten Months Earlier

It's the bottom of the fifth. The Phillies are down by 4 runs and I'm just about ready for another drink. I love baseball more than a lot of things, but I really don't want to be here.

"But that's just the business side of things," my Dad says, slapping a hand on my shoulder. "You've got to be cutthroat. You've got to think with your checkbook, not your heart,"

I want to remind him I stopped thinking with my heart three years ago, but getting into that with him will only make this night worse. Instead, I ignore him.

Don't get me wrong. It's a beautiful night and I've got an amazing view. We're in a top of the line suite on the first base side, and there's so much food I won't be able to think about eating for days. If I were here with anyone else, I'd probably be having the time of my life. But I'm here with my Dad and colleagues from the business I'm days away from taking over, and all I can think about is going home.

"Jesus Christ, this game, huh?" My brother, Jack says behind me as the Brewers score another run.

"My thoughts exactly," I say standing. I need air. And peace. I need away from this room.

I loosen my tie and roll the sleeves of my dress shirt up to my elbows before pushing through the door. I find the bar quickly.

"Just a beer," I say to the bartender without looking up. I've got half a mind to walk around the stadium for the remainder of the game, just so I don't have to go back in.

"Ten bucks," the bartender says and I look up. She's beautiful and young, with wavy, chocolate brown hair that touches the tops of her shoulders, and the biggest brown eyes I've ever seen.

Scratch that. Second biggest.

"Ten bucks," she repeats, raising an eyebrow. I smirk.

"Right," I say shaking my head to clear it as I pull out my wallet. I've had more than a few drinks tonight; I didn't realize I was staring.

But as I pull out my cash, Lindsey's photo falls onto the bar, reminding me of what I've lost. I pick it up quickly, but let my eyes linger for a moment before tucking it back in. It doesn't matter how much time has passed; every time I see it, I feel exactly the same.

Lost.

My wife died three years ago, and I've just been existing since.

I haven't dated. Not even random sex. I haven't had the courage to see what thinking about another woman that way again would feel like. Besides, I've got a pretty three-year-old lady back at home that keeps me plenty busy.

"Are you okay?" She asks, frowning as she sets my beer down on the bar. She must've seen the panic in my eyes.

"Yeah," I tell her, tucking my wallet away. "Just one of those nights,"

Just one of those years.

"I get it," she shrugs. "Can't win 'em all," her smile is big and contagious. Before I know it, I'm smiling, too. It's been a long time since any one other than Sophie has made me smile.

"Sure," I say, but my bad day has nothing to do with the Phillies. She slides my change back on the table but I put my hand out to stop her. "Keep it," I say with a smile, backing away slowly as I prepare to head back into the suite.