Brooklyn

My heart is pounding. I haven't seen Harry in so long; I wondered what it would be like when I finally did. The Sophie factor guaranteed I'd be seeing him on and off for the rest of my life, but I was too caught up in feelings and disappointment to imagine what it would look like as time went on. One thing is for sure - I didn't imagine another man's arm slung around the back of my chair as I sit across from him at a restaurant.

This is awkward.

At least we drove separately. I'm not sure I could've taken being in the car with both of them at once. I spent the fifteen minutes it took to get here begging Ty to be chill, while Sophie rode in Harry's rental car.

"You don't owe him anything," Ty reminded me in the car. "This is your time with Sophie. He thinks he's something marching into your home without an invitation. I don't like him,"

"You don't know him," 

"I know enough," he said quickly as we pull into the lot. "I've watched you cry over him for months, Brooklyn. Sorry if i'm not his number one fan. You're better than him,"

"Sophie's happiness is the most important thing today. Remember that before you say anything stupid," I warned as I unbuckled and step out of the car.

I get it. Ty is protective of me. We've known each other forever. But I also know he sees a future with me that I'm not sure I see. I've been honest about that, too, but he's always played it off like it was no big deal. Now that we're face to face with my past, he's clearly on edge.

Maybe I'm asking for trouble. 

"Can I get my own slice?" Sophie asks, looking at me from across the table. "Just cheese?"

"Absolutely," I smile.

Why is the idea of sharing a pizza with both Harry and Ty feel wrong? I'm a certified mess.

"So what have you ladies been up to so far?" Harry asks, smiling at Sophie as she colors on her placemat.

"Shopping. Girl stuff," Sophie says and I smile as she holds up her nails to show him the polish. "Mommy is good at everything,"

"She is," Harry confirms, sliding his eyes to me. They're warm and crinkle when he smiles, and it sends a feeling to the pit of my stomach I haven't felt in a very long time. Harrison has always had a way to make me feel powerful, and it's no different right now.

Ty's hand touches my back and I let out a breath and scoot forward.

"Brooklyn tells me you're a big time CEO. Not a lot of room in your life for a place like this, I can't imagine," Ty says out of nowhere. This is a dig, for sure and I take a deep breath.

"I was, yeah," Harry says before taking a sip of his ice water.

Was? My eyes lock with his across the table and I want to ask for clarification but our server comes over and interrupts. We settle on a deep dish supreme, and the second she walks away my eyes are back on him.

"What happened?" I ask softly, frowning. Harry never wanted to be CEO; he made that clear long before we really even knew each other. But his reasons for taking and keeping the position revolved around the future of our daughter and the type of life he wanted her to live.

"Oh I forgot to tell you!" Sophie says loudly, slapping herself in the forehead. "Daddy's in school now,"

"School?" I look from Sophie back to Harrison. There's a big smile on his face, like he's about to drop some huge news but it trying to play if off like it's nothing.

"Yeah. Jack wanted it more anyway," he smiles, taking another sip of his water. "It was never for me. The last few months have made that clear. He's big time now. Getting married, all that. It's good for him,"