Harrison

It's the new year. Sophie's biopsy came back in the beginning of January and everything looks great. We're still making several stops to the hospital for follow ups, but she's officially in remission. Sparkles has kept her running around, and most days it feels like everything is going to be okay again.

Now it's April and she's about to turn another year older. Months have passed, but nothing has changed between Brooklyn and me. Everything still feels wrong between us and I know it's mostly my fault, because regardless of how many times she apologizes, I don't want to talk about it. I'm the one pushing her away.

We've settled on being friends who live in the same household, but I know things would be different if Sophie wasn't sick. The three of us went to Disney World for Sophie's birthday, and for one week, let the magic take over. I carried Sophie on my shoulders nearly all day everyday, so she didn't miss a thing, and we stood in line for all the princess autographs. We wore mouse ears, and I'd be lying if I said Brooklyn wasn't completely adorable.

But being friends with Brooklyn isn't as easy at it should be. It feels hollow and empty compared to once we used to have, thought I can't picture a way to get back there.

Everyone once in awhile she'll laugh a certain way or smile and it'll hit me so hard I can barely breathe. Then I remember what she did, and realize our friendship is more of a formality so we're both here for our little girl.

Now it's nearly 9 o'clock and I'm sitting at the kitchen table with a bottle of beer. I've had more than a few already. It's that kind of night.

The front door opens and Brooklyn walks in laughing, but she isn't alone. A tall man with dark hair and really green eyes follows behind her. He's wearing a Phillies jersey and cap, and the smile on his face as he talks to Brooklyn makes me sick.

 Who the hell is he and what the hell is he doing in my home?

"Hey, Harry" she says, looking at the empty bottles of beer on the table beside me. "Hang tight. I'll be right down with it," she says to the man before jogging up the stairs quickly, leaving me in the kitchen with this stranger.

I take a sip of beer and lean back in my chair, looking the guy over.

"Hey, man," he says, leaning over to shake my hand. "You must be Harrison," his smile is genuine, but I still don't like him. "I'm Ben. I work with Brooklyn at Citizen's Bank Park,"

My eyes scoot down to the lanyard and ID around his neck.

I swallow, and before I can say another word, Brooklyn's jogging back down the stairs.

"Take them. Honestly," she says as she sets the envelope in his hand. "I owe you for today,"

"Thank you," he says, touching her shoulder. My stomach swirls and I stand up. She frowns, looking at me, but quickly turns her attention back to Ben. "I better go," he says with a smile. "I'll see you at work tomorrow,"

"Thanks again for the ride!" she calls out to him as he walks through the door and back into the kitchen. She unbuttons her jersey, exposing just a tank top beneath, and grabs a beer from the fridge before she sits down beside me.

"How was Sophie tonight?" she asks before taking a sip of beer.

"Great. Adorable. The usual," I say quickly. "But you should probably run it by me before you start brining strange men into this house,"

She sets her beer down and turns to me. "Ben?" she laughs. "Jesus Christ, Harry. He's my friend. My card got declined when I tried to get an Uber, so he offered me a ride home. I'm giving him tickets to a game I won but can't make it to. That's it," she says seriously. "Not that it's any of your business,"