Harrison

I'm in an amazing mood, and not just because it's Saturday. I've just survived my first full month as a CEO without completely destroying the company, and I've got the entire, beautiful early fall weekend to relax. There's a chill in the air that makes my warm coffee taste even better, and as I pull into the lot of Brooklyn's apartment complex, my favorite song comes on the radio.

And because I believe in luck and fate and all that, I sit through the entire song before I pop the car door open and head up to the door.

Slightly ahead of me, a woman carrying a large box struggles to slide her key in the door. I offer to take the box for a moment, but she shakes her head and continues to struggle until she finally unlocks the door. The least I can do is hold it open for her, and it gives me an opportunity to make it into the building without having to buzz Brooklyn.

Once I'm in front of her door, I knock three times. It's been a month since we went to breakfast and I haven't seen her since. Our agreement to be a fake couple in public hasn't lent to us actually hanging out in private, and I've been incredibly busy getting my bearings, so we haven't had reason to go out on the town.

I called a few times, but her voice sounded flat and she said it wasn't a good time and that she'd call me back. She must've forgotten every single time, because weeks have passed. It's not like she owes me a phone call; I'd just like to know that everything is okay.

Besides, I actually kind of miss her.

I knock again. Maybe she's in the shower or on the phone. Maybe she isn't home.

But just as I get ready to pull out my phone and call her, I hear a crash inside.

"Brooklyn," I say loudly against the door as I knock again. "You okay in there?"

An uneasy feeling settles in my stomach as I wait in silence. Brook's apartment isn't in the nicest of neighborhoods, but it's by no means the worst part of Philadelphia. The walls are paper thin, and I can hear a baby crying a few doors over, and a couple arguing a doors in the other direction.

I press my palm against the wood and try again.

"Brooklyn," I say again loudly and lean my ear against the door, hoping to hear anything that might tell me she's inside.

Another crash.

"Get out!" I hear her say. Her voice is broken, like she's been crying, and for a moment I think she's talking to me. "Look what you've done!"

"C'mon, baby. It'll be okay," I hear another, low voice say. "I'll get it all back. I'll find the guys and get everything back. I promise,"

"You promised me you'd quit it. And when I asked you to leave me alone, you promised me you would. I'm sick of your promises. You're 0 for 2 now, Nick, and you're wrecking my life,"

"Let me back in. I swear it'll be different this time. I'll prove it,"

"Different?" She laughs, but I can still hear the tears in her throat. "We've been broken up for awhile now, yet here you are. Same shit, different day, but this time it's so much worse. It's over, Nicky. I can't do it anymore. Not with you. Not at all,"

I swallow. I want to burst inside and I'm two seconds from doing so when I hear another crash, like someone's kicking over a table, and the door flies open, nearly smacking me in the face.

Nick pushes through without seeing me, a string of cuss words leaving his lips and he punches the walls as he makes his way down the hall.

Shit. I swallow and push the door open a little to look inside, afraid of what I'll see.