Harrison

"We're here for Sophie Reid," I say, running up to the front desk at the emergency room. I'm out of breath and exhausted, but now that we're here I've been given new life.

"I'm her Dad," I say, pulling out her insurance card.

"Room 204," she says with no emotion. She enters the card into the system and hands it back without eye contact.

I hate the smell of hospitals. The lights. Everything about them is eerie. 

The double doors open and we walk through, finding her room quickly. My adrenaline's been pumping for what feels like hours, but the second I see her tiny body lying in that bed, hooked up to monitors, I crash. It's late and she's asleep. Jack and Autumn are in chairs beside her and they startle awake when we enter.

"Hey," I whisper to my brother. "What do we know so far?"

"Not much yet," he says. "They keep coming in and out, reading reports and writing in charts. They're doing some blood work. You know how these places are. Everything takes way longer than you feel it should,"

I swallow, leaning in to kiss Sophie on the cheek. She looks comfortable, but helpless. Brooklyn sits down beside Autumn, letting me have this time.

"I'm sorry this happened. We were playing ping pong and I noticed her nose was bleeding," he explains. "We barely got it to stop and it started full on again. I'm so sorry, man. I know you said this has been happening, but I didn't know what to do,"

"You did the right thing," I thank him, slapping him on the shoulder.

"Daddy?" Sophie's eyes crack open and a small smile finds her lips. "You're here,"

"Got here as soon as I could, baby," I tell her, reaching for her hand. "Do you hurt?"

She shakes her head and I let out a breath. "Just tired," she yawns. "Is Brook here?"

"Yeah, sweetie," she says, getting up to walk over to the bed. "Feeling any better?"

"A little," she says just as the doctor walks into the room.

"We'll give you time. We'll be in the waiting room," Autumn says, touching my elbow lightly as she and my brother leave the room.

I stand and shake his hand.

"Mr. Reid?" He asks and I nod. "This is Brooklyn,"

"Are you Sophie's mother?" the doctor asks and she quickly shakes her head.

"No," her eyes are wide.

"Mr Reid, it's best if we talk in private," his eyes shift to Brook.

"If it's okay, I'd like her to stay," I tell him. He nods.

"I'm just going to talk to your Daddy about how we can make you better, okay?" the doctor says to Sophie and she nods. We step to the corner of the room out of earshot.

"We're still waiting on test results from the lab work we've done on Sophie," he says calmly. "We're looking for things like anemia, low blood cell counts," he explains. "Something to indicate what's going on. Your brother said this has happened a few times before?"

"Yes," I say. I'm afraid to admit I've been careless and overlooked it each time, so I leave it at that.

"We'll need to admit her overnight to continue to monitor her," he says. "She'll be moved into a room in the children's wing and you're welcome to spend the night. We're hoping to have more answers in the morning,"

"What do you think it might be? How serious is this?"

"We won't know anything more until the tests come back," he tells me. "Right now, the best thing you can do is be here for your daughter. You're better than any medicine," he says kindly and I reach out to take his hand.