Brooklyn

Dreams do come true. We got the okay to leave the hospital this afternoon, and we're almost home. Sophie's leaving the hospital with a huge set of instructions and watch outs, but she gets to be home for Christmas Eve, which is better than anything I could've wished for.

It's amazing how quickly I fell in love with her. Some might say it's because I carried her for so long - that this bond is natural and maternal - but I question that. I loved Sophie before I knew she was the little girl I gave up years ago. And I'd have loved her if that test came back differently. I love her because she's her - an amazing, strong, beautiful soul that is bigger than anyone else I've ever known. And right now, as well pull into the driveway covered in snow and lined with lit candy canes, I've never seen her look more alive.

"Oh my gosh, Daddy!" She squeals. "Do you think he'll know I made it home in time? What if he brings my presents to the hospital?"

"He knows," Harry says confidently. "We even have the cookies, carrot and glass of milk to leave out tonight,"

"You bought cookies from the store for Santa, Daddy? That's bad,"

"Heck no," Harry smiles. "We made them,"

"Who made them?" Sophie's eyebrow arches as she looks at us in surprise. "Santa won't leave presents if he gets sick from the cookies, Daddy,"

"What?!" Harry laughs. "Just because Willa's gone doesn't mean the tradition has changed," he tells her. "Brook and I made them,"

I smile, thinking back a few days when we came home from the hospital for awhile to set up Christmas, hoping she'd get the okay to come home. Layla stayed with her in the hospital so we could cut down a tree and decorate, and for one day, things between Harry and I didn't feel strained. I rolled out the dough and he used the cookie cutters to make adorable little shapes. We completely avoided any conversation regarding biology, letting the spirit and excitement of giving our daughter an amazing, magical Christmas take over.

"Oh," she smiles. "Never mind. Brook makes good cookies," she dances in her seat. "Santa will love them,"

"Well thank you," I say. I'm sitting in the backseat next to her car seat. Her hair has started to grow in again, but I made sure to find her the thickest knit cap out there.

"What should we do first when we get home?"

"Um...open presents!"

"That's tomorrow, goof ball," Harry reminds her.

"Okay. We should watch Christmas movies and eat cookies," she suggests. Her appetite is starting to come around. Typically we'd be at my parents house for a big family dinner and gift opening, but this year we need to be home on our own.

"How about one present then? Santa doesn't bring them all tonight," she barters. "Just one,"

"Hm...." Harrison says with a smile. "I guess one,"

"Deal," she claps her hands. "I'm so happy, Daddy! And it's snowing!"

We unlock the house and head inside and her eyes light up with all the decorations on the tree. I've never been to pick out real tree before; it was exhausting hauling around to find the perfect one. But watching Harry cut it down, knowing it would make Sophie so happy, was worth it. And the tender look in his eyes as he told me how much Sophie loves Christmas was a wonderful, welcomed change from the harshness that's been looking at me for over a month.

Harry flips on the Christmas music and Sophie immediately begins to wiggle. He looks nervous, like she might fall over at any given time, but his smile tells me he's the happiest he's been in a long time.