T w e n t y F o u r

A/n: Thank you for being patient with me. This will be the last chapter. Sequel to be announced.

I hear my name being yelled out from across the street, I see Carl running over to me. Close behind him was Daryl and Rick. My heart fluttered at the sight of him. I'm an idiot, I think to myself when look up to his concerned facial features. Looking down to the wooden planks. Thinking about how I've ended up here. I let everyone down, I let Daryl down.

A hand is hooked under my armpit, and I'm lifted with ease. Looking up into his face poorly wiped off of blood. "What are you doing, Shay?" The words come out stern, but fun of sadness.

"I was worried, I didn't see you get out of the truck and I started to panic." I say, bringing my hand up to his cheek.

"You've should have stayed in bed!" I turn and see Carl's nostrils flare. I nod slightly, bringing my hand to Carl's cheek. He's take back from my actions, hitting my hand away.

"I'm sorry. Forgive me, Carl." With that Carl pushes passed his father, with a huff. "He'll come around right?"

"It will take some time. I'll have a chat with him see what's going on, but you have to rest. I don't want to see you outside until you're better, got it?" I quickly nod, and rick follows Carl back to their house.

The greatest joy now is knowing that someone I loved was here, holding me up. I loved this man. Fighting for him is what I am now here for. Fighting for a life with him and his people, our people. Family.

The sun the next morning was bright, shining in through the window of my own bedroom. Adjusting my eyes to the shine, an arm tightens around the front of my waist. Smiling, I slowly turn and face Daryl, the pain being worth it. His eyes flutter from the brightness, opening them slowly. Just like before I brush his knotted hair from his face to get it out from his eyes. Slowly his bring his lips toward mine and plants a gentle kiss.

"I thought I lost you last night." I whisper to him.

"I promised that I wasn't going anywhere."

"There will always be a chance of one of us dying, it's inevitable. I promise to always come back to you, Daryl. I can't imagine what I'd do if I would lose you." Tears start to form, it's been awhile since I've cried. "I know that you probably won't take this the way I'd like, but Daryl, I love you."

He blinked a few times before tightening his grip around my shoulders. The squeeze around me reminded me that he is a person who need time, loads of time before anything like love can come into play. He does love. He loves and cares for Alexandra and the people in it. He confides in Rick and his group. I know he loves that woman Carol. Love is a crazy concept. When you love someone you do crazy, stupid things. I am an example, I thought I had enough time to grab my weapons from the truck to save him and our small scavenging group. I paid the price by getting shot in the back.

Becoming crippled is heartbreaking. Seeing his face after I had fallen on the porch was heartbreaking, seeing everyone faces made me feel like my heart would explode with it. Having people feel bad for me is absolutely heartbreaking because I only did this to myself.

"There's so much to do." I say quietly, before palming his and kissing his pink lips.

A/n: Thank you for reading. Thank you for voting. Thank you. Until next time, the sequel.
Briena x.