18. Early

8 months, 2 weeks
Clarke

It had been two weeks since Bellamy left with Kane to visit Polis.

There had been no word for the past few days but Clarke was trying to stay strong. She was a survivor and she had been preparing for the worst, although she felt silly for fearing it. It was a simple mission, and Bellamy had told her it might take 2 weeks. Everything would be fine.

She kept busy, cleaning up the cabin and working with her mum, who had been helping to gather supplies for after the babiea arrival, swaddling cloths, cloths to work as diapers and the like.

Clarke spent all her time worried about the baby, it was only when she felt her water break that she began to worry about Bellamy again.

No it can't be happening yet! It is 2 weeks early and Bellamy isn't here!

She couldn't have the baby without him.

So she sat there, utterly still, hoping that perhaps she has just pissed herself.

And so she waited, waited a full 10 minutes, hoping, before the first contraction rattled through her.

No! No. No. No!

This couldn't be real. Just a stomach cramp.

He's been here always! Was here for the baby's first kick! She'd had invisioned him there, beside her for every first to come. Including the BIRTH!

Another contraction hit, stronger and with more force.

She decided she couldn't deny it anymore and went to get off the bed when she realised she could think of nowhere she would rather have this baby. It was after all, probably the cleanest place in the entire camp.

So instead she set herself back and fumbled for the radio that her mum had luckily put there that very morning, for such an occasion.

"Uh, Mum? You there?" Clarke said into the radio.

"Yeah sweetheart everything okay?" Her voice came back, casual and calm.

"It's happening. Gagh it's happening now!" Clarke said, another contraction making her cry out and drop the radio.

She didn't hear her mums reply as a loud high pitched note started to ring in her ears. Clarke shook it off, but by then the radio had gone silent, her Mum rushed in minutes later, Jackson on her tail carrying some equipment.

Abby smiled down at her daughter and took her hand. "You're gonna be okay." She said softly and Clarke squeezed her hand back as they prepared.

Abby removed Clarke's clothes from the waist down and covered her with a blanket. "Okay, this baby is gonna come fast Clarke, are you ready?" She asked but Clarke was already shaking her head, sweat coating her forehead. "Clarke, honey, you have to push!" her mum said sternly.

"Bellamy!" Clarke cried, another contraction bringing tears to her eyes.

"I just radio'd, apparently they are on their way back." Jackson said, providing little comfort. They could still be days away!

"Clarke! It's now or never."

Bellamy

He was sprinting faster than he would have ever believed possible.

The second he had heard Jackson's voice on Kane's radio he had been off.

He could make it. He had to make it!

Clarke

"AHHHH"

"The baby's in a difficult position, hold on Clarke."

The pain was indescribable. The physical pain and the pain she felt at Bellamy's absence. She couldn't do it. White dots were starting to blur her vision and just as she was ready to pass out, the door of the cabin swung open with such force she was knocked back to reality.

"Bellamy? Bellamy!" She exclaimed in pure ecstasy as he ran to her, his hair sticking to him and mud splattered up his legs. She had never seen anything so wonderful and she started to cry with the sheer relief of seeing him.

She held out a shaky hand and he took it without hesitation. He pressed his other hand to her forehead and brushed her hair aside from her face.

"I'm here." He nodded, wheezing slightly and she actually laughed, forgetting the pain for the briefest of moments before her mother spoke again.

"Okay, it's time Clarke, one big push now!" She said, Jackson hovering behind her with cloths and scissors.

Clarke looked once more at Bellamy, squeezed his hand and tucked her chin into her chest as she gave it all she had. Once she had exerted herself, she threw her head back onto the pillows, her heart racing.

Silence.

And then crying.

It took Clarke a moment to register it before she looked up to see that Jackson was walking over to her.

Bellamy was still at her side, his hand remaining wrapped around hers firmly as Jackson brought the child to her.

Clarke lifted her tired arms and took the baby, resting him against her chest, a white cloth lying beneath him. "It's a boy." She whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks.

He was so tiny and was making small baby noises, his little eyes opening and closing as he took in the new world around him.

Bellamy sank to his knees at the side of the bed to look at their son.

But just as quickly has her son had arrived, he was being taken from her and to her dismay she was too weak to fight it, her eyelids already dropping until the world began to fall away, a darkness swallowing up the Cabin, taking Bellamy and her son with it.