↠ o n e

{ c h a p t e r o n e }
lauren's pov ;

LAUREN COULDN'T REMEMBER the last time she spoke to another human being.

Mrs McAdams, Lauren's mother, had every single intention of decreasing the amount of contact her daughter had with any member of the human species, besides her trusty therapist and her family who looked at her as though she was food at their table that they hadn't ordered.

Lauren believed her mother was sent to the earth for the sole purpose of making an unnecessary fuss over her. Just getting out of the car was a messy and complicated situation. Her mother tucked a surgical mask over her face, then carefully helped her out the car. She grabbed her daughter's shoulders and steered her all the way to the therapists office.

"Mom, you don't have to make such a big deal out of this. We're indoors. There's literally nothing that can happen to me." Lauren said, a scowl plastered on her face.

Mrs McAdams looked at Lauren, astonished. "I just want you to be safe, honey."

Lauren had heard that so many times it annoyed her to the point where she saw red. She was sick of people treating her like she was fragile.

Her mother mistook her aggravation for anxiousness. She tried to reassure her daughter by squeezing her arm. "I've already talked to your therapist. She's lovely, I'm sure you'll have a lot to talk about and gain from this. Just keep an open mind, okay?"

'Fine." Lauren rolled her eyes. She didn't understand why she was going for therapy in the first place.

"Call me when you're done, sweetheart. I'll stay near the building." Her mother said, giving her a tight hug and unwillingly letting go. The second her mother walked away, Lauren took the mask off her face.

She walked into her therapist's office. The room was small and the color of honey oak. It smelt of coffee and toasted bagels, and had comfortable couches and cushions scattered all over the place. One large round window was on the far wall, closed of course. Lauren imagined her mother having a fit if it was open.

She stared through the window, admiring the beautiful view. It was spring, arguably the best season of the year, and the trees were in full bloom. Flowers decorated each and every single branch, and long carpets of petals decorated the ground below. It was mesmerizing.

Lauren reached out to the window, brushing it longingly with her hands.

And for a short, blissful second, it felt like being on the ground again.

A woman who looked like she was in her late twenties or early thirties hurried through the door. She had a cup of coffee in her hand and only noticed her client's presence once she sat the drink down and organized a few papers that were slightly jutting out of her neat piles.

"Oh my! Is it noon already?" She asked, glancing at her watch. She looked up and smiled. "I'm so sorry to keep you waiting. Lauren, isn't it?"

"Yeah, Lauren."

"I'm Kate, it's so nice to meet you. Take a seat, please. Any one you'd like. I'll be with you in a moment."

Lauren found a comfy leather armchair and sunk into it. She studied her therapist, Kate, as she rummaged around in her tidy drawers. Kate had sleek raven hair that fell in soft waves down to her waist. She wore rose colored glasses and even when she wasn't smiling, she had this warm, friendly look to her.