↠ e i g h t e e n

{ c h a p t e r  e i g h t e e n }
lauren's pov;

It was almost dawn. The sky had softened to a lighter shade of the once brilliant royal blue as the clouds blushed, peach effortlessly complimenting the smooth skies. The sun peaked over the elegant houses of Malibu, it's warm rays shimmering through the cracks and covering the two of them in a warm embrace.

Lauren was in awe of the sky. She felt like there wasn't a sky that shouldn't be appreciated. Every color, every detail, every inch should be looked at with absolute wonder. Nothing was more beautiful.

Grayson fell in the category contrary to her beliefs. Even with the most magnificent skies; all he could look at was her.

Their date had seemed to have lasted longer than the two expected. They had been there from the early hours of the evening. Grayson set up an entire picnic; from blankets and pillows to pizza and jellybeans. Neither of them wanted to leave since they arrived.

They looked out into the distance, the morning air crisp on their skin, filled with the promise of new beginnings.  Grayson held her hand in his, rubbing his pad of his thumb over her knuckles as he kissed them each individually. "Do you wanna do something dumb?" He propositioned.

Lauren laughed. "Do you even have to ask?" She gave him a sideways grin, as he grabbed her hand and pulled her up.

They climbed down the rollercoaster cautiously, gripping their feet onto the metal bars as they willed themselves not to slip due to the morning dew. Once they had made it down safe and sound, Grayson brought her to a completely empty wall. It was perhaps the only wall that wasn't covered in a thick carpet of moss.

He reached into his backpack, intently going through it to find something. On his quest to find the unknown, Lauren noticed a small, giddy smile plastered across his face. Her smile widened. What on earth was he doing?

He eventually found the mystery object, which had turned out to be two cans of spray paint. One was a pretty periwinkle sort of color and the other was a vibrant orange.

"Close your eyes."

"No ways, firefly fuck. I did it once already." She said, shaking her head profusely. "You're going to spray paint me. "

"I won't." He said. She held up her small pinky finger and he linked them together with a goofy smile. "I promise."

She covered her eyes with the palms of her hand, not bothering to even sneak a glance. She didn't know what he was doing, but Grayson obviously found it extremely amusing due to his ringing laughter that echoed through the air.

"Open 'em." He sang. She could hear the grin in his voice.

She opened her eyes and saw his lettered handwriting big across the wall, each one alternating between periwinkle and orange.

lauren and grayson's
firefly fuck's 
amusement park

Lauren burst out laughing. It was sweet, loud laughter which Grayson almost immediately joined in on. Soon the two were in hysterics, clutching their stomachs and barely breathing. They were sure that all the houses in Malibu could hear their ridiculous laughter piercing through the air, echoing far past the mansions and the ever brightening horizon.

He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer, bumping their noses as their laughs were reduced to slow chuckles and eventually heavy breathing. Inches away from each other, he smiled.

"I love you." He said. "I love you."

Lauren smiled up at his face, tracing over the shape of his lips with her finger. "And I love you." She said, before bringing his lips on hers and kissing him. He laughed, a pure laugh of genuine happiness as they always seemed to do against each other's lips when they kissed.

As the sun splashed across his dimpled face and as his lips were against hers she knew that this was what life was all about.

This was proof that the most beautiful things in life aren't just things.

The most beautiful things in life are people and places, memories and pictures. They're feelings and moments and smiles and laughter.

And when she looked into his iridescent eyes, she saw glimpses of infatuation and laughter. Fleeting moments of running away- the way her heart pounded in her chest as she made it past the revolving doors. Of kissing in the rain and the wind through her hair as they sped past skylines. She saw old motels with barely functioning signs, wreaking havoc at pie contests, retro diners and breaking into backyards. There were tears and laughter, angst and beaming smiles. She saw the promise of second chances and falling in love.

She knew that no matter where she went, no matter what she did; as long as she was with him, everything would be okay.

"Let's go home, Grayson." She whispered.

He gave her that same, small smile that he had given her that very first day in that small room of his. The same smile that still managed to make her heart skip a beat.

"Together." He said, his dimples deepening as his smile grew.

And there, in that moment as they laughed at their insanities and relived old memories; she knew that everything that mattered was right in front of her.

For loving him was an adventure all by itself.