↠ f o u r t e e n

{ c h a p t e r  f o u r t e e n }
lauren's pov ;

Lauren couldn't bring it upon herself to say a single word. Her throat felt like it was closing up with thousands of tiny stitches, allowing not even air to pass through. She shook her head, desperately trying to get rid of the countless thoughts that fleeted through her head all at once.

"Are you okay?" Ethan asked, touching her shoulder gently. His cocky facade now fell almost as fast at it had occurred. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset. I was only joking-"

"Ethan." Lauren said in a small voice.

He paused for a moment, then raised an eyebrow. "That's me." He replied. "Do I know you?"

She shook her head profusely. It couldn't be Ethan. Ethan was dead.

She tried to think of something to say. Anything to say. Just as she opened her mouth to reply a hand snaked around her waist and pulled her close.

"Laur." A gentle voice said, kissing her cheek. "You were supposed to wait for me in the hotel room. I should've known you'd come looking for me- you're too impatient." It was Grayson who looked down at her with a smile.

It was only then when everything went downhill.

Grayson lifted his head to see who Lauren was talking to and his eyes widened for a second before hardening. He didn't seem as shocked as Lauren. He looked angry. His mouth was in a thin line, his jaw clenched and his eyes were cold.

"Grayson?" Ethan said, his voice filled with disbelief.

Without warning, Grayson raised his fist and connected it to Ethan's cheek. Under any normal circumstances Ethan would've been able to block the blow but this took him completely and utterly by surprise. He held his cheek, his lips parted as he stared at his brother wordlessly in shock. Before he had the chance to respond, Grayson bolted.

Lauren didn't wait a beat. The second Grayson ran away she sprinted after him, pushing past the crowds of people in a desperate attempt to find him. It didn't matter that her legs felt like lead or that she could barely breathe; all that mattered was finding him.

When Lauren rounded the corner she spotted Grayson on his knees. He was ashen, lips almost blue in the heat of spring. His head was in his hands as he sobbed to himself. Even from a distance his sharp breaths pierced the air until they suddenly stopped.

She was barely within an arm's distance when he collapsed to the ground.

Unconscious.

Lauren screamed. It was a scream of agony as she ran to his body sprawled across the ground.   A trickle of blood lined the side of his face. She picked up his head gingerly. On the side of his head was a wide gash pouring with blood, her hand covered in the sticky substance as she screamed for help once again.

She shook him. Again and again, hoping that his lifeless face would spring to life. That his smile would return and his eyes would twinkle and everything would be okay.

But it didn't.

"Grayson." She pleaded through her tears. "Grayson, please."

He didn't move an inch.

His eyes were closed, his face devoid of any color. She heard heavy footsteps behind her but she blocked it all out. All she could see was his body, his colorless, frail body lying as limp as a rag doll in her quivering arms. Through all the chaos around her; people calling 911 and others asking what had happened- all she could hear was his voice inside her head.