↠ n i n e

{ c h a p t e r  n i n e }
lauren's pov ;

Lauren craned her neck over the windshield to study the vast city that spread before her. It struck her then how wide the world really was, and how far she was from home. Lights from the city shimmered like a reflection of the star speckled sky, amongst towering palm trees that served as a burst of life amongst a concrete jungle. Tiny vehicles scurried like ants, each one rushing along intricate tangles of streets, creating twisting threads of blinding light.

Soon, the looming city was upon them. Lauren shielded her eyes from the bright lights that followed them every way they went. Her house was a little outside of Arizona, where there was nothing surrounding her house other than an open field of sunflowers and the hum of vehicles and chatter merely echoed from the city. Here, in the heart of Los Angeles, was the epitome of everything but.

"You excited?" Lauren asked, an infectious smile spreading across her face.

"A little." Grayson admitted. "Although I think I may die."

Lauren rolled her eyes and let out a small laugh. "You're such a drama queen." She teased.

Grayson smiled a little, but Lauren could tell he was thinking about something else. His thoughts were elsewhere throughout the rest of the car ride, until they pulled up at the entrance of a hotel with gleaming golden lights.

"We're staying here?"

"Yeah." He said with a grin. "You like it?"

"It's beautiful." Lauren said in awe. She didn't know much about hotels, since she'd never stayed anywhere besides the her home and on some rare occasions, the hospital. But she could tell this hotel would be costly. 

"Wait here."

"Why?" Lauren asked with her eyebrows raised.

"Just wait." He said firmly before getting swiftly out of the car and running over to the other side of the car. He opened the door for her with a goofy smile on his face.

"Grayson," Lauren started, as they walked into the fancy entrance of the hotel. "I don't care if we stay in a dingy hotel room. We don't have to stay at such an expensive hotel-"

"This is your first time outside since you were, what, five?" She nodded.

"I want to make this the best trip of your entire life. I want to make it special, Laur."

"Yeah, but I don't need a five star hotel for this to be special." She argued. "We could stay on the side of the road for all I care. You make this trip special not some fancy hotel."

"Damn, I wish I thought of sleeping on the side of the road sooner, sounds like a way better option." Grayson teased, flicking her on the nose.

Lauren scowled at him. She didn't want Grayson feeling as though she needed money spent on herself.

Grayson noticed her frown and sobered up. "Oh come on, don't be mad. I can afford it, Lauren."

"Besides, you deserve only the best." He added with a smile.

Grayson brought their interlocked hands to his mouth and kissed each of her knuckles softly, his lips lingering there for a second. He seemed to have registered what he did soon thereafter and he brought their hands down quickly, barely meeting her eyes.