~April, 12 Years Ago~

I was five when the Jones' moved in next door. Dad and I had been sat on the front steps to the house. Mum had banished me when I coated all of Albus' clothes in honey. Dad was sent to join me because he laughed.

The Jones' pulled up promptly at 3:30pm in a big, bright, blue car and a movers truck following close behind.

"Dad, what's that?" I asked.

Dad chuckled, "that's a car James. They're the new muggle neighbours, remember?" I didn't.

Dad stood and walked towards the car. Hesitantly, I followed, grabbing Dad's hand. A tall, dark haired man got out of the drivers side, but the didn't seem to notice me or Dad. However the blonde woman who got out the other side of the car did.

"Oh hello." She said smiling brightly.

"Hello, you're Martha Jones, right?" Dad asked going to shake her hand.

"Yeah, that's right. And you are?"

"I'm Harry, I live next door. This is my son James."

"Hi James." Martha Jones said and gave me a little wave.

"Hi." I mumbled hiding behind Dad's legs.

"Mummy," a voice came from the back seat. I stepped out from behind Dad's legs, suddenly very interested in the new neighbours. I didn't know they had a child. Please be a boy, I thought, please be a boy. I loved playing with all my cousins, but it would be nice to have someone new to play with.

Martha Jones opened the back door and leaned in. A few minutes and clicks later, a little blonde girl was standing next to Martha Jones. My face fell, I couldn't help be disappointed. She'd probably want to play with Lily or Albus. But...

"Dad, is that an angel?"

Dad smiled and crouches down next to me. "You think that girl's pretty James?"

My eyes widen as I realise what I just said and my cheeks go red. "No-no, I didn't mean- I just..." I couldn't finished; I buried my face in my hands as dad tried not to laugh.

"Mummy, who are they?"  The little girl asked, tugging on Martha Jones' hand.

"They're our new neighbours."

"Hi, I'm Harry." Dad said holding out his hand to her.

She shook his hand confidently and said, "nice to meet you. My name is Lizzy Jones."

"Martha, honey, can you help me with these boxes!?" Her husband yelled, half his body stuck in the back of the car.

"Yeah, hold on a minute." She looked to her husband to Lizzy and to Dad.

"She can stay with us." I blurt out before I can stop myself. A few moments later, after some contemplation, dad nodded. "Sure, Lizzy's welcome to stay at our's for a bit until you and your husband are sorted."

Martha Jones shook her head. "I couldn't ask you to do that. We just met. And I'm sure you've got enough to deal with, without Lizzy getting in the way. Besides, I bet Lizzy would much rather-"

"I want to go," Lizzy said.

"Really?"

"Yeah, you and I both know I'll only get in the way." Clever girl.

"Oh, I don't know-"

"Please mummy." Lizzy clasped her hands together and pushed out her bottom lip. She looked like a puppy, begging for food.

"Oh all right." Lizzy beamed, but I couldn't figure out why. Why was she so happy to stay with us? Was it because of me? No, it couldn't be. Girls don't like me.

"Come on over as soon as you're finished. Please take all the time you need." My Dad said, smiling. Mrs Jones thanked him again and kissed her daughters cheek before turning and going to help Mr Jones.

I led Lizzy into the house, and stood awkwardly in the hall. I wasn't very good at making friends, much less making friends with girls. Thankfully, Dad came to save me.

"Why don't you take Lizzy into the living room, while I go tell your mum we have a guest." I nodded. So... maybe dad wasn't as helpful as I had hoped. Now there was no way out of talking to her.

She made herself comfortable on our couch as I took a seat on the armchair across the room, trying to get as far away from her as humanly possible. We sat in silence for what felt like forever then Lizzy turned to face me. "Well," she said, raising an eyebrow. "Aren't you going to introduce yourself? You got me in here. I think I deserve to know who I'm here with."

I blinked at her. I had no words. What do you say to something like that? "Um... I'm James. James Potter." Suddenly her eyes brightened and her mouth dropped open. "Potter? As in Harry Potter?"

"Yes... he's my dad."

"That guy! That old guy is Harry Potter!?"

"He's not that old," is the first thing that comes to mind. Dad is very defensive when it comes to his age.

And that's what we did for the rest of the day. It was nice; we just talked. We talked about everything: how awesome my dad was, jokes that we had heard over the years we didn't understand, toys we desperately wanted but our parents wouldn't buy, school- both magic and non. Anything a five-year-old would have found interesting.

Then somehow, at some point, we became friends. And that's the way it stayed for more than ten years... until everything changed. If I knew then what I know now, who knows what could be different.

***

Typical!

Not five minutes after I post an apology and I figure out how to end a chapter!

It may not have been two and it may not have been posted yesterday, but it's out now. Be grateful, cause it's more than my Percy Jackson people got.

Hope you enjoyed. Bye!

Words: 975