The Yule Ball

"Dammit I completely forgot!" James groans, throwing his head back in despair. Lily quickly whacks the back of his head and rolling her eyes. "Oh don't be so dramatic!"

"She's right," Rose says across from them. "Your cute, I'm sure you could get a girl to go with you easy."

"Well duh! I know that." He grins and the girls share a distasteful look. "That's not the problem. I left it too late! When McGonagall told me about the ball it didn't even occur to me I'd actually have to... you know - find a date..."

"You are a very stupid man." Scorpius speaks up, Albus immediately agreeing with a solemn nod. "I can't believe we're related."

"Still, what's the big deal? Just ask someone to go with you." Rose says shrugging

"I can't! The ball is in two days. All the girls already have dates."

"So ask a guy."

"Okay you are not allowed to help me anymore." He angrily points a finger at her. "By the way who are you going with."

Rose sputters and turns red, eyes frantically looking at everything but James. Behind them, on the floor, Scorpius grows very quiet and while Albus suppresses a laugh. "Just- just - n-n-no one! He's just some guy in my year - no one you know I promise!" Lily looks down at her lap.

"Umm... okay." James replies doubtfully. "Oh, Lily will you go with me then?"

"No. Sorry, someone asked me already."

"What?! Who?!" He jumps to his feet, outraged. Albus approaches and lays a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, I checked him out, he's okay." Protecting Lily against boys had been one of the few things the brothers had always agreed on. That and putting butter on the same sandwich as chocolate spread was completely unacceptable.

"Alright... I can't believe I'm going to suggest this but..." He takes a deep breath, closes his eyes and grasps his brothers tightly. "Will you, Albus Severus Potter - of course platonically and brotherly - accompany me to the Yule Ball?"

"Flattering as that is-" he displaces his brothers hands from his shoulders, "I think my date would be quite disappointed if I stood her up for my brother. But thanks for thinking of me, I really appreciate it."

"Dammit even you've got a date-"

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"What am I going to do?" James sighs, flopping back down in his chair, completely ignoring Albus.

"Hey you know there is one person you haven't thought of yet." Lily says slowly. It's then that Teddy enters the room, broom dragging depressingly behind him. Everybody turns slowly from their positions to stare at him.

"What?" Teddy asks when he notices the eyes on him. "Is there something on my face?"

The others turn back to grin wickedly at James.

In no world does this end well, he thinks.

***

James stood behind the other champions behind great wooden doors as he waited for Teddy to arrive. Harry was  awkwardly trying to make conversation with Parvati Patil who already seemed sick of him. Hermione, meanwhile, appeared both charmed yet uncomforted by whatever Victor Krum was whispering in her ear. Suddenly, he stopped, distracted by someone coming up behind James.

She was tall and beautiful with long blonde hair that was loose down her back. Her eyes were a startling blue that matched the knee length dress she donned. Needless to say all the boys were captivated, which quickly turned to jealousy when they realised she was here for James. James, however, was completely unable to focus on anything but the thought that she looked exactly the same as his cousin, Victoire, who hasn't even been born yet.