Chapter Two - The Spider-man

After yet another long day of school, the bell rings and we're free to leave.

I step out into the crowded hallway that's flowing with students, trying to find at least one of my two friends.

I eventually just give up and walk to my locker, entering the combination and opening the metal door.

"Hey, June." Somebody from behind me says cheerfully. I turn around and there she is, Alyssa Williams.

"Oh, hi Ally." I say with a smile, turning back around and neatly putting my folder crowded with homework into my backpack.

"So, I talked to Harper about the decathlon field trip. She said you were down for going."

I sling my backpack around my back and close my locker.

"Well, I mean..." I say to Ally.

"C'mon, Juniper! It would be fun. Besides, Peter will be there." She whispers the last part, winking. I sigh and roll my eyes at her.

"Fine. I'll go." I say, smiling as I loop arms with Ally. She's wearing a cute pink floral dress with a fuzzy white sweater, and her strawberry blond hair falls down to her waist, swaying with each step she takes.

"Is Harper still up for coffee?" Ally asks.

"I would think so. It's our thing, you know? Every Wednesday." I say.

"Every Wednesday," she says softly as we walk out of the doors.

Harper is waiting for us outside, sitting on the steps and scrolling through her phone.

"Hey, Harp." Ally says as we walk down the steps to where she's standing.

"Hey! Coffee, still?" She asks, sticking her phone in her back pocket.

"Of course," I say.

"Okay. Remember, you take the long way." Harper says. I roll my eyes and walk over to my bike, hopping on it and watching as Ally and Harper start down the street, towards the coffee shop.

I start pedaling down the bike lane, riding three blocks down and eventually getting to the cute little shop tucked in between the thrift store and an apartment building.

I pedal up the sidewalk and park my bike in the bike rack, watching as people pass the shop. Ally and Harper eventually catch up and the three of us walk inside and over to the counter.

Ally orders a latte, I order a hot chocolate, and Harper orders a strawberry refresher thing. We take the seats by the window.

"So, how was everyone's day?" Harper asks, sipping her drink.

"Terrible." I say.

"You're such a pessimist," Ally says.

"Am not." I say, chuckling.

"Yes you are."

"Okay, ladies, enough bickering." Harper says. We all chuckle and go back to quietly sipping our drinks.

"So, about the decathlon field trip." Harper says, wiggling her eyebrows at me. I roll my eyes.

"Both of you already convinced me to go." I say.

"No, I think Peter convinced you to go." Harper replies, smirking.

"What?" Ally gasps, leaning over the table.

"Peter turned around in advisory and told Juniper that she should go." Harper says. I roll my eyes.

"I'm going to go brain dead if I roll my eyes again. Please stop," I chuckle.

I look across the shop as the door opens and the little bell jingles.

"Speak of the devil," Ally says as she lifts her coffee cup to her lips. I sigh as I watch Peter and his best friend, Ned, walk through the door.

"Okay, Guys. Enough. There's better things to talk about." I chuckle.

"Well, I think we're going to Oregon for Thanksgiving break." Ally says.

"That sounds fun." Harper says.

"Yeah. My uncle's family lives right by the beach." Ally says.

I look out the window at the cloudy sky, the clouds becoming darker and darker.

"I think it's going to rain tonight." I say.

"You think?" Harper chuckles.

"Turn it up!" We hear someone from across the shop shout. The three of us turn around, looking at the small TV in the corner. Somebody takes the remote and turns it up.

"Last night a robbery took place at the ATM building on the corner of ninth street and sixth street. The local superhero, 'spider-man', swung in and tried to save the day, instead blowing up the entire block itself. The explosion reached a..." I tuned out as the reporter went on.

"They need to cut the guy some slack. I mean, he stopped them from stealing the money, right?" I say.

"Yeah, and he saved the guy and his cat at the deli across from the ATM place." Harper adds.

I shake my head and look up at Peter and Ned, who are sitting near the TV. Peter gets up in a hurry, slinging his backpack over his back, then says something to Ned quickly and storms out of the coffee shop.

"Hey, uh, I'll be right back. I need to call my dad." I say to Harper and Ally, getting up and grabbing my phone.

"Okay," Ally says. Harper nods, and I rush out of the coffee shop, hoping to catch Peter.

He's running down the block, so I decide to hop on my bike and catch up to him. I hope I don't come off as the stalker type, sheesh.

I start pedaling and pedaling until I watch Peter turn into an alleyway. I hop off of my bike and walk it onto the sidewalk, setting it against the old, vacant building.

"Peter?" I say, following him into the alleyway. He's gone.

I swear. I saw him turn into here.

I walk further into the alleyway. It's suddenly very quiet, almost creepily quiet. Usually, you would be able to hear the cars on the road, the honking of horns, the chatter of pedestrians on the sidewalks.

But it's silent.

"Peter?" I call. Silent.

I hear something crash, and flinch. I turn around, and it's just a stray cat, trying to get into the trash can. It sees me and scurries away. I exhale in relief and turn back around.

"Hey there."

"Oh my god!" I exclaim, flinching and taking a few steps back.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." He says.

"You're...you're him." I breath. He's here, perched on the side of the wall.

The spider-man.

Author's Note
Hey loves! I'm so sorry that this chapter is really slow. I hope you enjoyed it, though! I'll add more action in later chapters, don't worry. Please let me know if I made any mistakes that bug you! I'll fix them right away. Have a wonderful day! :)