Chapter Three - Nights Like This

"Who else would I be?" He asks cheerfully.

"Well...I-I....uh..." I stammer. He chuckles and hops onto the ground, only a few feet from me.

"Are you...um...lost?" He asks.

"No, no...I'm not. I thought I saw my, uh, friend...turn into here." I continue to stammer every sentence I say.

"Okay," he chuckles.

"Um...I should, uh...probably g-" I'm cut off by the sudden boom of thunder.

"I should be getting home. Don't have an umbrella." I say. He watches me as I turn around and trip over my own two feet.

I feel myself blush and laugh awkwardly, continuing to walk backwards. I hear him chuckle.

Why am I so awkward in these situations?!

I'm about to turn around when I run straight into a couple trash cans and nearly fall, tipping them all over. I squeeze my eyes shut.

That did not just happen.

He swings over and lands gracefully on his two feet in front of me.

"I'm quite the klutz," I say, chuckling nervously.

"Nah." He chuckles, helping me lift up the trash cans. His gloved hand lands on mine, and I look up slowly. I take away my hand quickly and smile nervously.

"You should...probably get going since you don't have an...umbrella." He stammers. It has started to sprinkle, drops of rain landing on the streets of Queens.

"Yeah. Probably should." I chuckle, walking by him.

"Thanks for, uh, helping me with those." I say, turning around and pointing to the trashcans.

"No need to thank me." I hear the smile in his voice.

"See you around," I say awkwardly.

"See ya, Juniper." He says, then shoots a web and takes off.

He knows my name.

I exhale shakily and pick up my bike, slowly pedaling back to the coffee shop.

"What was that all about?" Harper asks as I sit down next to Ally.

"Oh, just...stuff." I say quietly.

He knows my name. My god, he knows my name.

"You all right?" Ally asks. I look up at her.

"Yeah. Fine." I say, smiling a fake smile.

"You took off in quite the hurry." Harper says before she takes a sip of her drink.

Another boom of thunder echoes over the city. I look out at my bike. The seat is going to be drenched in a bit. The rain has moved to a steady pour.

"Uh...yeah. My dad doesn't call much..." I trail off, staring blindly out onto the streets bustling with taxis and cars.

"You sure you're all right?" Ally asks.

"I'm fine." I say. "Look, I should probably be going. My dad said he wanted me home sooner tonight. I have a ton of homework anyway." I say, reaching over and grabbing a bunch of napkins to wipe my bike seat down.

"Oh...okay." Harper says.

"Sorry," I say.

"It's fine. See you tomorrow," Ally says with a smile. I nod.