Chapter Five - Late Night Dips

I grab my third piece of pizza and sit back on the bed.

Harper sits on the opposite bed, flipping through channels and shoving pizza into her mouth. Ally walks out of the bathroom, wearing her bikini.

"Already? We're still eating." I say, my mouth full.

"It's dark. Pretty much everybody is asleep. Pool closes at ten, and it's empty." She says bluntly. I turn and look at Harper, who's finishing her piece of pizza. She sets the remote down and gets up, digging in her bag for her swimsuit. I sigh and continue eating my piece of greasy cheese pizza.

"You're coming, right?" Ally asks with a wide smile. Harper runs into the bathroom to change.

"I guess. I'm not staying in here alone." I say. A few minutes later, Harper comes out of the bathroom, dressed in her swimsuit and tying her long blond hair into a high ponytail.

"Get into your swimsuit, then." Ally says.

"Just go, I'll be out in a bit." I say.

"Alright." Ally says, following Harper out of the room and down the stairs. I follow slowly, watching as they go down to the pool with the others.

"I'm sick of Mr. Stark treating me like a kid!" A muffled voice exclaims.

I turn to the next room over. Peter and Ned's room.

Mr. Stark? As in...Tony Stark?

"But you are a kid." I hear Ned reply. I shouldn't be eavesdropping. I really shouldn't.

"Yeah, a kid who can..."

"Hey, I was just coming up to get you." I flinch.

"God, Harp. You scared me." I say to Harper.

"Look, if that's who you're waiting for, just knock on their door and get them down here." Harper says, smirking.

"Fine. I'll be right down." I say. She raises her eyebrows. "I promise."

"Okay, you better not break it." She says. Her smirk is replaced with a sly grin. I roll my eyes as she turns and goes back down the the pool.

I stand there for a minute, right in front of the door. It takes me forever to summon the courage to knock.

The door flies open, leaving me face to face with a wide-eyed Peter. He has his backpack slung around his shoulder.

"Oh, it's just you." He says, replacing his frantic look with a smile. I swallow.

"Uh...yeah. Just me. Um, they're all down at the p-pool, are you gonna come down?" I stammer.

"Uh..." He trails off, glancing down at the pool, then turning back and looking at Ned. I watch him nod enthusiastically. He turns around, returning he gaze to me. "Sure. Uh...yeah. Sure."

I smile and nod, watching as he closes the door slowly. I skip back into our room, changing to my swimsuit and throwing on a tee shirt and shorts over it. I walk out of the room excitedly, watching as Ned heads down the stairs alone.

"Ned?" I ask, walking over to him.

"Yeah?" He replies.

"Where's...where's Peter?" I ask, clearing my throat.

"Oh, uh...he, uh....he's still changing into his swimsuit." Ned stammers. I raise my eyebrows as he turns around and starts down the stairs quickly.

I sigh and decide to let it go, starting down the stairs after Ned.

I hear a door close quietly and I turn around, seeing Peter walking quickly in the opposite direction. He doesn't have his swimsuit on.