Chapter Nine - Surprise

I collapse onto my bed with a sigh once I get home, dropping my backpack at my feet. I had just gotten back from the coffee shop, and Peter was a no-show. It had started to rain again, just like last Wednesday. Thunder boomed throughout the city as rain poured down onto the concrete jungle we call New York.

Crap. I left my homework at the coffee shop.

I stand back up with a sigh, slipping my phone into my pocket. I had started to work on my homework at the coffee shop as Ally, Harper, and Ned chatted away. I eventually finished, actually. I grab my apartment keys off of the counter, along with one of the umbrellas by the door. I jog down the stairs of the building, buttoning up my sweater. I open my umbrella and step out into the rain, starting quickly down the street. It's starting to get dark, and I don't want to be out here for long.

I turn to my left and start down the street, taking the shortcut to the coffee shop. I pass by a local florist, watching as somebody opens the door, bringing out their umbrella with a bouquet of colorful roses and lilies. I smile to myself as I continue walking down the wet sidewalk, my sneakers making a little splash with each step.

I eventually arrive at the coffee shop, which is closing in about ten minutes. I push the door open and step into the warm building, the smell of coffee hitting my nose. Shelby, the lady who is usually here on weekdays, looks over her shoulder as she wipes down the counter. I scan the coffee shop, spotting my paper on the table we sat at.

"Forgot my homework." I say with a grin, walking over to the table and grabbing the small packet of math problems. Shelby chuckles as I fold it up and stick it in my pocket.

"Have a good night, sweetheart. Stay safe." She says as I leave.

"Thank you, and I will." I say with a smile, leaving the coffee shop and re-opening my umbrella. I don't hear the patter of the rain hitting it, and I realize that it stopped. I probably look like a complete idiot, so I close my umbrella and continue walking down the sidewalk. It's completely dark now, and the street lights reflect off of the small puddles on the ground. I grows kind of quiet as I pass an alleyway, and I stop for a second, listening to something whining.

I turn around and walk back to the messy alleyway, filled with empty cardboard boxes and littered with trash. I step deeper into it, listening as the whining grows closer. It sounds like a dog. I flinch as the box jerks and the sound of skidding paws fills the air.

"Oh my goodness," I murmur as a light brown and black puppy runs over to me. I kneel down on the wet cement as he jumps all around and tries to get in my arms, yapping away and covering me with kisses. It doesn't have a collar, and doesn't look too young.

I can't just live it here.

I wrap my hands around its stomach, under its two front paws, lifting it up slightly.

"Looks like your a boy. You're a good boy." I say softly as he continues to bark quietly and happily. He has very fluffy ears, and a black muzzle that fades into light brown fur that covers most of his body. His ears have black highlights, and he has a tuft of white fur on his belly. He's very skinny.

I wrap my arms around him again, slowly standing up and bringing him to my chest.

"Oh, god, you sure do stink." I say, frowning as I pet his wet fur. He continues to lick me, showering my neck with kisses. I start back down the sidewalk, carrying him home.

Luckily, our landlord does allow pets. But it will take a lot of convincing my dad to keep him. Maybe even a bit of begging.

Oh, god. I need dog food. And a collar.

I enter the building and quietly bring him up the stairs, shushing him on my way up. I fiddle with the keys for a bit, slowly opening the door and setting him down on the floor. He runs into the apartment, looks around, and runs back over to me as I close the door.

"You need a bath, sir." I giggle, bending down and petting him. I stand back up and slide out of my coat, setting my homework on the counter and throwing my coat onto the couch for now. Thunder starts to boom again, and I hear the pitter-patter of the rain return. I pick him back up as he starts to freak out.

"Don't be scared. You're okay," I shush, carrying him into the bathroom. I close the door behind me, turning to the tiny shower-tub in the bathroom. I turn the water on, setting it to warm and grabbing an old bottle of Dove shampoo.

"Look, buddy. You're gonna smell very pretty." I say, picking him up and setting him in the tub. I grab the shower head and turn it to a soft setting, slowly covering him with warm water.

"See? You're okay." I say with a smile as he licks my hand. I turn the water off for a bit, pouring a bunch of strawberry scented soap on my hand.

"You're gonna smell like strawberries." I say, rubbing my hands together and lathering the soap in his fur. I turn the water back on and wash my hands, rinsing all of the soap out of his fur. I grab a blue towel and turn the water off, letting him jump out before covering him in a towel. I open the door back up as I dry him, carrying him back out to the kitchen.

"Such a good boy, yes you are." I giggle as he licks my neck. I set him back down, and he's almost completely dry. I throw the towel in the laundry hamper and quickly close the door to my dad's room so he doesn't run in there. I open the fridge and grab some leftovers, along with a plate for me and a little bowl for him. I pour a little bit of chicken and rice into the bowl, calling him over.

"C'mere, bud!" I call. He comes running over happily, sniffing the bowl. I set it down and he starts snarfing down the food.

"You need a name," I say, petting his now extremely soft puppy fur. I've always wanted a dog. I really hope I can keep him.

I grab a piece of paper and a pen, opening up my phone and immediately searching 'boy dog names'. I scroll through the list, writing down the ones a like. After I've written down a couple of names, the puppy starts to jump on me again.

"Hi!" I say softly, smiling and picking him up. He lunges for my plate of leftovers, and I pull him back.

"That sure was fast." I giggle, rubbing his chest. I glance over at the empty bowl on the floor.

"I didn't give you very much, did I?" I say to him, scraping a little more food into his bowl. He dives in as I start on my dinner. He finishes again, pawing at my legs. I try to eat as fast as I can.

"Okay, we're gonna go to bed soon." I say, cleaning the bowl and my plate in the sink. He follows me to me room as I shove my homework into my backpack, zipping it up and sliding it to the other side of my room. I quickly change into my pajamas as he yaps away happily.

"We gotta calm down, okay? We're going to bed." I say, closing my door and plugging in my phone. I make sure my alarm is on before I slide into bed.

"What am I going to do with you tomorrow?" I murmur, sliding under the covers. I pat the bed and he hops up, licking my face. Thunder booms, and it's not distant. The rain gets louder, the noise making me sleepy. The puppy starts to shiver out of fear, so I slide him under the covers with me and hold him tight. He seems to calm down, and his breathing gets slower and heavier. Soon, he falls asleep, and so do I.

Author's Note
Ahh! I'm so sorry for the late chapter. I just lost track of time and got super busy. But, I did have a lot of fun with this chapter because I have been wanting to add some sort of pet ever since the first chapter of this story. I really like dogs, if you can't tell, haha. Have a wonderful day, and I hope you enjoy the chapter!