Chapter 1

My head felt as though it was stuffed with spikes of fire. I had wept myself dry like parched grass while cursing myself for failing to protect the one I cherished the most.

The darkness had fallen mercilessly upon the earth. There was neither the glory of the moonlight nor the twinkling of the night stars. Even the trees that stood hovering over me seemed to hold their breath.

Kesar found me curled up like a fetus on the ground a while later. She brought something sweet to my lips and coaxed me to drink.

"Nikita, drink," she said. Her voice coated with tears, as though she'd been nursing a great sorrow within her heart. I opened my eyes and our gazes locked. Kesar's breath was like a warm brush of feathers over my tear-stained face. Her golden wings enveloped me as a bird in the nest standing over her offspring.

"I will tell you of the message the princess has left for you," she said softly. My tongue could find no word upon hearing that, but my eyes sent her an obvious inquiry.

What is it?

"Her Highness had come to me before she went away, telling me she would be far beyond any reach, and that I must take care of you in her place."

A dark cloud of wild grief encompassed me.

"I tried to stop her, begging her not to leave, telling her you love her, but she has convinced her heart and set her mind upon the journey, and she would not stay another day," Kesar went on. "I must not tell anyone, that she made me promise. Most of all I must not tell you. But how could I keep this secret while you're suffering?"

"Where..." I croaked the word and tried to sit up though my tired form protested. My hands found Kesar's small shoulders, "Tell me...please Kesar...do tell me where she has gone to?"

"She did not say, my lady, I do not know," Kesar replied with a saddened shake of her head. Remorseful tears welled up from my eyes like some spring with crystal stream falls over the ledges of a high precipice.

"Oh Kesar, evil is me. It was I, who caused her heart wrench!" I said as my own fresh tears rolling down my cheeks. "In her hours of need, my hand was not there to caress her. I made her run away from this searing pain. Now she is gone!"

"Don't berate yourself anymore, my lady." Kesar shook her head, but I turned away from her. My hands tore the grass and dirt off the ground. I started flinging rocks into the still pond along with my curses and anguished screams. The winged-maiden came to grab me, holding me until my violent rage ceased.

There we lay as I was mourning and weeping.

But all of a sudden, I felt something solid against my palm. When I opened my hand, I found a strange object gleaming with an unusual sheen. It was round and flat like a very large silver coin, yet sparkling like some rainbow jewel.

"What's this?" I breathed in wonderment. Kesar turned and looked at it. Then a flash of recognition crossed her teary eyes.

"It's a scale, my lady!" she said. I quickly sat up and brushed off the dirt that clung to the mysterious thing. Indeed it was!

"The Naga King," I muttered to myself. "It must be him."

Then with a new surge of energy, I willed my body to rise again. So long as I lived to look upon the world without her, the heaviness of guilt in my heart would remain. This was the only way I could redeem my wrongs.

"My lady?"

"I know where to find her, Kesar," I said as I stood on my wobbly feet.

Kesar was startled by my abrupt change of mood and tried to restrain me.