Chapter 13

After the divine arrival, we continued to sit and stare at the lunar god with our mouths slacked. Everyone was captivated by his empyreal form, changeless, ever-young and exceedingly beautiful.

"Children of Meru Gods," Chandra spoke in his chiming godly voice. "Do you not know it is more courteous to summon a god with a proper ritual at a temple and not in a cramped tent—even if he's in the family? At least give me a bowl of steamed rice as an offering."

His words woke us from our trance. We bowed to the seamless god with respect.

"Lord Father!" Vorac cried, kneeling before her heavenly parent. "I thought you wouldn't come down again. Why did you not answer me? I was getting worried!"

"Daughter, worry not. I am well," Chandra said with a dazzling beam. "Yes, I did hear your prayers, but the heaven is now aloof from the affair of mortals. But speak of what concerns your mind for I am here after all."

"Forgive us, my lord, I know it's against the sacred laws," Tepi spoke with a humble bow, "but we are in a serious trouble. We need some clarity about a certain enemy."

The brilliant god raised his brilliant face as if to think.

"Who is the enemy you speak of?" he asked.

"Father, are you not aware of Rahu?" Vorac asked in confusion. "Our friend, Nikita, the Prophesied One, has a vision of the gruesome peace-breaker. Now we are anxious to know if it's all true."

"Nikita?" Chandra spoke my name like he had just heard of me for the first time but also as if he had known me for countless ages.

"The Child of Prophecy," his daughter prompted. "You're the one who marked her and tied her lifeline to our world."

A flickering light danced in his bright silver eyes. Then the moon god smiled again.

"Oh yes, the poor fair lass, how is she?"

Everyone turned to me. I blushed under their gazes. With an uncomfortable gulp, I decided to make myself seen to the god.

"Ah, may the gods bless your soul," Chandra greeted me as I knelt before him. "You still look comely, guileless and even more charming, and a girl, no less! What you did down here amused me to no end."

"You saw me did what?" My cheeks flamed hot. He let out a musical laugh.

"Oh, child. The moon sees all and inspires all," he said. "Once I drove my chariot across the sea and spotted you and your..."

"Oh lord, no!" I interrupted, fearful of the thing Chandra was about to say. Everyone looked at us. The god laughed again, confusing my friends even more. I just wanted to dig a hole in the middle of the room and stuff my head in it. He reminded me of my own father who loved to tease me with girls.

"How about we speak of a more crucial matter?" I asked.

There was a familiar amused glint in the god's eyes. My father had the same glint in his eyes, but I tried not to think of him. It only brought more unspoken conflicts to my mind.

"Very well," Chandra said. "Tell me what you claimed your vision to be."

"It's not a mere vision, my lord. It's a warning," I said, growing rather irritated with his indifferent attitude. "The Asuras are aware of your importance to us and even more so to me. You're the anchor that holds my existence in this world, are you not? Now they want to cut the tie loose, and they sent Rahu on his way."

Chandra stood in silence for a moment. His mischievous demeanor was gone and replaced by a serious contemplation for the first time.

"Did you see him —that filthy ancient head who intends to devour me?"