Chapter 9

We heard the cry of the guards and a chorus of answering trumpets. Our chariot crested the hill and drove through the avenue to the main gate. The last ray of sun was flaring down the golden horizon. We passed the boundary stones that marked the palace grounds.

Once we arrived at the threshold of the throne room, we saw the King and Queen standing there waiting for us. Their kingly robes cast their glow among the crowd. All around were royal guards and palace maidens, and all the children of the Meru gods.

We stepped out of our chariot and went to greet them. Queen Indradevi came first to receive her daughter.

"Oh my dear girl," the Queen spoke. "How are you? We were so worried when you disappeared."

Then the King followed her. Amarisa bowed to them with respect. They embraced her. I did not see my own mother there. She was in a frail state the last time I went to her ashram.

I hoped she knew we had returned.

"Welcome back home," the Queen said to us. Her words carried thick gratitude.

Then the King turned to me and nodded in approval, and I managed a bow back. I was also aware of the other eyes. Issarak, Ravi, and their friends stood apart from Tepi, Vorac, and Morokot. Although they did not speak to each other, the avatars seemed at peace with one another for once.

The Guru and the Hora were among the dazzling crowd of princes and warrior kings. Kesar later drifted away from us.

"Thank you, Nikita," Queen Indradevi said to me. "You have brought our beloved Amarisa back safely. Speak of what you want. I shall grant it to you."

"Thank you, Your Majesty, but I want nothing. I do have a confession to make before you though."

The royal couple exchanged a curious glance.

"A confession?" the King said. My face reddened.

"I believe I should announce it when everyone is gathered."

~*~

Inside the great silver-roofed hall crammed full of low tables and soft mats. There were other kings and royal ministers. The Brahmin priests joined the assembly with the Guru and the Hora.

Amarisa was brought to sit beside her royal parents on the golden thrones.

"Father, I wish to sit with Nikita instead," she said. Amidst the echoing sounds of talking men, Amarisa's words seemed to pierce all other noises. They stopped talking and looked at us.

My cheeks felt hot. I noticed the growing change in my princess's demeanor. It was unheard of for a princess to be seated with a commoner. Even I was friends of the avatars, I wasn't the exception. But Amarisa was subtly claiming me as a partner, a wife properly wedded by the Naga King himself.

I wanted to tell her I could sit with my friends as always, but she ignored me.

"Very well dear," the King said after a pause. He looked somewhat taken aback by her request just like the others. The palace servants prepared a table for the two of us. Then Amarisa and I settled in our seats.

"Now tell us what you wish to bring to our attention," the Queen spoke.

I took a deep breath and rose to stand before the monarchs.

The air throbbed with tension and curiosity. I caught the eyes of my friends. By now, they had probably heard of my arranged-marriage with their princess, and they each seemed to hold their breath.

"Your Majesties," I tried to speak in a steady voice. "There was an unusual event on my journey to the Naga Kingdom."

I proceeded to tell the whole truth. Even Issarak was quietly listening. I told them from the beginning to the end. They were surprised and impressed to hear about our battle between the giantess Surpanaka and her flesh-eating army.