Chapter 27

The ground rumbled—an earthquake that was more powerful than the sound of Tepi's conch. It was as if every mountain collapsed all at once.

A fissure opened all around the battlefield. Deceased warrior kings and their army crawled out with their patchy pale skin and hollowed eyes and teeth without lips or cheeks. The dead soldiers exploded from the earth, emerging from the depths in the hundreds. Fearsome undead soldiers in full battle armors rode massive skeletal horses and war elephants and black chariots from the Underworld. Mist shrouded the areas.

Their shrilling war cries made the blood coil. There was no need to command this army of death. They dispersed in all directions, hacking at the demons and giants until they fell down like toppled trees. The enemy tried to counterattack but it was proven difficult against the swift-moving warriors.

Gradually, the feral battle formation began to fall apart as if a lotus flower shedding its petals before it dies.

I could see Ravana survey the struggles around him. Everywhere was raging with violence. All fought for their lives. The Demon King's face was filled with shock and evilness. In his moment of surprise, I urged my mount towards him.

With a powerful roar, Gajamsimha leaped high over the heads of demons and landed on the other side. At last, we reached the heart of the formation where the Asura King stood merely a hundred paces away.

For a moment, we stood, staring at each other.

"Not bad for a mortal girl," Ravana said with a maniac smirk. "You remind me of my old foe, Rama, or are you not his reincarnation, too?"

"And today, you shall gravely regret abducting my wife and his all over again," I spat back.

Ravana's eyes flamed and his wide mouth opened in a howl.

All around us were the wild cries of fighting, a flurry of foul wings and blackness of beasts, demons, and giants. There were horrible sounds of metal clashing and scrapping against each other.

One of my hands clutched the reins tightly while the other lowered the moonsword to my side, ready to lift and swing and strike. Then I leaned my body forward, poised before a burst of the sprint.

Then with a scream, I urged the majestic lion into a run. He stormed forward as fast as the wind. Ravana also lashed his steeds towards me.

Once we were only a few paces away, I leaned to the side and thrust my blade straight at his body, but his reflexes were quick like a lightning. The blade whizzed harmlessly past, missing his rib cage.

Ravana pulled his spear and made a slash through the air. I arched myself backward to avoid it. But then I fell off my mount, tumbling to the ground. Gajasimha tried to turn back for me, but a dozen of reptilian monsters surrounded him. The king of the forest roared as he charged against the hideous monsters.

"Stand!" Ravana cried. "Fight like you used to!"

The Demon Lord drew out his staff then jumped off his chariot, bringing it down on me.

I rolled out of the way and evaded his blow. Then he raised his sword and brought it on my head, but I sidestepped his blade before he chopped me in half. My feet stumbled through the ground. I rose again and held my sword to block his next blow. The moment our weapons smashed against each other, it produced a thunderous sound that caused a rippling wave over the field.

Ravana staggered back at the force. His eyes widened in amazement and a hint of admiration.

"What a shame that a magnificent astra like this fell into a human hand," he sneered. "A great shame to the gods indeed!"