Chapter 12

The next morning, I awoke to a call outside my tent. I was startled when I felt Amarisa's soft body entangle with mine. Then I remembered what happened last night. I watched the princess sleep with her long black lashes cast over her rosy cheeks. She must have been exhausted after hiding inside that cramped carriage all day. Pity filled my heart, and I leaned to kiss her forehead.

"Nikita!" Atith's voice cried. "Are you awake?"

"Yes, give me a moment," I replied.

I slowly removed myself from the arms of my sleeping lover and then rose from the bed.

"Nikita?" Amarisa sleepily murmured.

"Shhh..." I hushed her. "Stay here, my love, and wait until I come back. I'm sure Kesar will tend to your needs when I'm gone."

She caught my hand before I turned away again.

"Promise me, you won't leave me alone for too long," she said. I leaned over to kiss her lips and reassured her that I would return before dusk.

Afterward, I washed my face with the cold water and made myself ready before I stepped out of the tent. I found Atith standing there, looking distressed.

"Vorac needs to speak with you," he said.

"What's wrong? Is she alright?"

"I fear that you are needed in haste. We shouldn't keep them waiting."

I nodded in response.

Later we reached Vorac's tent, which she shared with Tusita. When we got inside, I found the other avatars there, including Morokot and the daughter of Vayu. Tusita sat beside her beloved girl, holding her hand in a supportive way.

"What's happened?" I asked, frowning in concerns.

"My father," Vorac said quietly.

"Bunny, do not take these things too bitterly to heart," Tusita consoled her lover. "We do not know for sure if the lord is in danger."

"He would not answer me since we left the city," Vorac protested. "I feel it in every bone of my body. Something is amiss."

I had never seen her so anxious. She had always been emotionally strong and collected, always remained unruffled even during the heat of battles.

I looked at Tepi for an explanation, which she kindly gave but not without a deep sigh.

"Vorac has been meditating, hoping to ask for any guidance from her divine father," she said. Her expression was thoughtful and calm, but I knew she was also worried. "But all she got was silence."

The words that had come to me that night echoed in my mind.

'Let not the oppressor and his dreadful jaw of vengeance devour me.'

Now knowing what I saw, I decided to let my avatar friends know about my vision.

"My friends, I have something to tell you," I said to them. Everyone turned to me again. Then I described the demon I saw in my mind as best as I could.

"He has a serpentine body and an enormous mouth. He rides across the sky on a silver chariot pulled by ten black horses. I saw his clawed arms reach out and his jaw open for me."

"That is Rahu," Tepi breathed. "The one who frightens the sun and the moon, Devourer of the luminaries and lord of illusion. Surely, there's no other demon like him."

"But why did the vision come to you, Nikita?" Tusita asked.

"Lord Shiva told me he had given me two things. One was the lion king and the other was a mystery."