Chapter 22

After the death of the demon general, I was no longer interested in joining the strategy planning. All I wanted to do was to find Amarisa. With no word in the council, I sat there. My hopes were shaken. A new wave of heat swept over me and filled me with anger. The Demon King still had my loved one, but I could do nothing to save her. If Ravana were honorable, he would face me in battle. But he was a theft and a coward.

And there was a pity. What could he do to her? What were the horrors she had to go through? I wanted to end it there and then!

The war would stretch on and on, and I was haunted by this thought telling me I would be too late to save her. The cruel fate of my birth-right had yawned its wide jaws around me.

The night after our first victory, I had glimpsed the sight of Ravana in my reckless sleep. His brother's death would not stop him. Having been Emperor of the Three Worlds, having tasted life's pleasures, having stamped on the heads of many races, how could he now lose to a mortal girl? He seethed and hissed with rage.

'I shall cut her flesh into pieces and eat it raw! I shall have her head for killing my kinsmen and brother!' he growled from his high throne of blackened skulls. 'The avatars too, and all their gods in heaven are doomed to die beneath my feet!'

Through the vision, I understood his greed, ambition, and vengeance. The injustice of his life fueled his hatred, bringing him back to the world he would conquer once again.

I shut my eyes, but as I'd feared, the sight did not come to me.

In the dark tent, I had a nightmare of Amarisa, screaming my name. I saw her crying in a chamber, and the voice like a lion growled through the closed doors, coming nearer and growing louder.

'Why, true heart, are you weeping? Come hither to lay beside me! O, how I long for you!'

"No!" my scream awoke me. I was sweat-soaked, and the tent felt oppressively warm. I couldn't shake the dream from my mind. My heart ached with worried beats. I must go and save Amarisa, or die trying. I would never let Ravana lie his filthy hand on her skin. Never!

I got up and readied myself before leaving my tent. The air was heavy and humid. The smoke from the funeral pyre drifted to my nose. The cremation was still going on in the camp for we had lost so many brave souls.

I went straight to the stable and found my winged horse. The celestial mare stared back at me as if she already knew my intention.

"Pisey, I need your help to bring my wife back," I said.

But a voice stopped me.

"You can't go off on your own."

I snapped my head around and saw the daughter of the wind god. Ravi was standing with my other friends, Tusita, Vorac, and Atith.

"Why are you all here?" I said in irritation.

"Nikita, be wise, we know you're suffering, but you can't go charging at the enemy's gate in the middle of the night," Vorac said, but I shook my head.

"You can't expect me to stay waiting while my wife is screaming in sorrow," I said, gritting my teeth. "I have to bring her back right now. Do not try to stop me."

As soon as I said that, a tear rolled off my cheek. I wiped it away and proceeded to pull the Ashva out of the stable.

"Nikita, listen..." The avatars came forward.

"Step away, or else..." I said and stopped myself from finishing the sentence. My hands balled into fists, and the familiar heat stirred in my palms. They saw the rage in my eyes, and they knew it was fruitless to stop me.