Chapter 45: The Dead-riser's puppet

I can't see. I didn't know why before.

But I sure as hell do now.

I can't see because I have no bloody eyes.

"What... what happened?" I'm at a loss for words. Where did my eyes go? What the fuck has happened? Why can't I remember?

"You jumped in front of a hollow to save me from it. And it... it..." Enoch struggles to finish the sentence, but I already know how it was going to end without him telling me. And it ripped out my eyes in front of them.

"Why don't I remember that?" I ask him.

"Because once you die, you lose who you are. I had to try and summon back your personality and some of your memory so you would remember us." His voice cracks and I hear Emma's teary sigh in front of me.

"Wait, I'm dead? No I'm not, I'm right here. So what I don't have eyes, I'm not dead." I know I'm not dead. That's absurd, how could I be dead?

"Do you remember what my peculiarity is?" Enoch whispers, as if speaking too loud would break him.

I rack my empty head, thinking of what it could possibly be. I remember Emma's is air, I remember mine is shape shifting and Enoch's is...

"Oh," is all I say. Oh shit. I'm dead. "You brought me back to life?"

"Yes." Enoch sniffles.

"But that means that I am a..." I choke on the word. "Puppet. Something that you can control." I shake my head in disbelief. No. I think. I'm not a puppet. I'm a person. But deep down I know. When I woke up, I was waiting for commands. I was empty-headed. I was completely in his control. I was a puppet. I am a puppet. His puppet. It was only when he asked me to remember my past-self, my live-self, that I was able to remember. To, in a way, be who I was. But deep down, as much as I am currently acting as myself, it is just that. Acting. I am not what I used to be. I don't even remember what I used to be. Deep down, regardless of my ignorance to the fact, I know it's true. And I think Enoch and Emma do too.

"Yeah, Y/N. You are a puppet." Enoch's voice breaks and I hear him sob. I hear Emma trying to consult him, but her voice is shaky and hollow. I reach for him, groping around but my fingers only find air.

I stop trying when I work out I can't reach him, even though he sounds so close.

So close yet so far away.

The old Y/N would have kept searching until she found him. Until she had him wrapped in her arms. But I gave up.

Because I'm now a puppet. I don't have feelings. I just have orders.

My orders ring loud and clear in my head.

"Be yourself as you were before."

I can't be myself, Enoch. Not like this. Not dead. I'm so sorry I have let you down, master.

But I have to follow my orders. I have to try.

"Be yourself as you were before."

My empty head bounces the echoing words round and round my skull until something happens.

A light bulb illuminates in my mind, chasing away the darkness, the emptiness, the despair.

I have an idea.

____________________________________________________________

I noticed that I haven't really been writing author's notes of late. So I thought I'd do a quick one coz I haven't done it in forever. What do you think Y/N's idea is? You should know, it is your idea, after all!

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

~Tamika