Austin

Friday, November 3rd

Cambull High

4:00 p.m

I sit in class waiting for the bell to ring, but there still seems to be a few minutes left of class.

"Au...Aust...Austin!" I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Brandon who just realized how loud he was.

"Brandon. Would you mind telling the class what you were trying to tell Austin?" the teacher says as she leans on her desk. Mrs. Rosa is the definition of scary. Every student she has, has a crush on her but after a while all of that goes away. She's one of the youngest teachers here, but she's also one of the few in this school that are married. No one dares to step out of line because she'll make sure you step back in line.

"I uh just wanted t-to make sure he a-appreciated your t-teaching skills M-Mrs. R-Rosa" Brandon said trying his best to maintain his composure, which he didn't do to well on.

"Mhm. Don't interrupt my class again, unless you want to sit out of the next soccer match" Mrs. Rosa threatened and I watched as Brandon slid down in his seat. "And you." She was now pointing at me with unreadable eyes. "Pay attention unless you want detention for the rest of the school year" she said with a stern voice. I nodded and focused on the board up in front.

After a few minutes of waiting, the bell rung and everyone began to leave the classroom. I gathered my stuff and threw it in my bag, but just as quick as I was about to have my freedom, it was taken away from me.

"Austin" Mrs. Rosa says. I slowly turn to see her sitting at her desk. "Come here" I don't waste any time and make my way towards her and stop right in front of her desk. "I have noticed that you've been spacing out a lot during class. Is there something bothering you?" she says a she stops what she's doing and look up at me.

"No" I respond as calmly as possible.

"Are sure? Because the counselors door is always open" she says look at me, almost as if she's waiting for me to say something but I remain silent. "I know you belong to the popular group at this school, but if you ever need help don't be afraid to look for it. When your brother needed help he-"

"I'm nothing like my brother!" I blurt out. I realized I was too loud when she stood up. "I'm sorry" I say as I avoid eye contact and look down at my feet.

"I'm sorry. I understand how things can be when your older siblings are constantly being used as an example, I should know, I was the youngest out of three" I look up from my feet and see that her facial expression has softened. "Just remember what I said. You're free to go"

I take my chance and walk out of the classroom feeling embarrassed. I don't like when people use Luke as an example for me, or at least not anymore. I remember when I was little I use to look up to him, even if he was only a year older than me. I always saw him as a role model for me. But it all changed last year, he gave up on someone who needed him. I saw the look on their faces and I promised myself I would never cause anyone that much pain. After that I decided to stop see Luke as a role model, instead I used him as an example of who not to be.

I walk through the hallways hoping to see Camila. Just as I'm about to give up and go to my locker I hear footsteps behind me. I quickly turn to see her jogging towards me.

"You walk fast" she says as she tries to catch her breath.

"How long have you been following me?"

"Ever since I saw you walk out of a classroom, I've been trying tog et your attention but you seemed so focused you completely ignored me" she says as she leans against a locker.

"Oh wow, it's been 10 minutes since then" i say as I scratch the back of my neck. Camila nods her head and pushes herself off the locker.

"Well do you have to go to your locker?"

"Yeah" she quickly walks away and begins to walk towards my locker.

How does she know where my locker is?

"Before you think I'm a stalker, I saw a whole bunch of girls hanging around there"

"Sure Camila, but are you sure you weren't one of them?" I ask in my best teasing tone. She punches my shoulder and slightly pushes me towards my locker. I open it and put back some books while grabbing the ones I need for my homework.

"Let's go"

We walk towards the entrance of the of the school and talk about how we've each been the past few weeks. Talking to her right now made me forget the fact that we hadn't had an actual conversation in a few weeks. We've barely even looked at each other the past few weeks. But talking to her now made me feel as if we never stopped talking, almost as if we've gotten closer since then.

"Austin!" we hear someone yell my name and as I turn around I am confronted by a somewhat cheerful Savannah. I can see her glare at Camila, but I know that she's trying to be nice to her for me.

"What's up babe" I say as I hug her back. I know Camila's feels uncomfortable but the last thing I want is to give Savannah a reason to start an argument in front everyone in the parking lot.

"Let's go on a date!" she exclaims as she begins to pull me away from Camila. I plant my feet where I was standing and watch Savannah squirm trying to drag me away.

"I can't" I say as I pull my arm away from her.

"Why not?" Savannah says. I notice how her attitude changed completely. She went from a playful attitude to an offensive one. I can Camila noticed because she took a few steps away from us. I clear my throats as I carefully think about what I was going to say next.

"I have to work on a project with Camila. It's for Mr. Harrison's class"

"So you prefer to hang out with this bitch instead of your girlfriend?!" Savannah yells as she tries to make a scene.

"Don't-" Camila begins to say but I cut her off.

"Savannah just go home and calm down before you say something you'll regret" I say as I stand up to her. In our relationship she has always been the one in charge and I'm tired of letting her control who I hang out with.

"Whatever." she flips her hair in the process and turns around. "You're lucky he saved you, but remember, in the end he's MY boyfriend" Savannah say as she turns and looks directly at Camila.

"Well, you have your work cut out for you bud" Camila says as she gently pats my shoulder.

"Are we going to work on the project or are we just going to stand here?" I ask sarcastically. Camila looks at me and rolls her eyes, but for a second I catch a small smile on her face.