Epilogue

I find the song quite fitting, so I'd appreciate it if you would play it whilst reading this. It is by Mozart, one of my idols (a patriot to peasants becoming something.) For the dim, or those who cannot recall, 'Requiem' is the song you have played at your funeral. Wolfang Mozart spend his dying years writing his own requiem, before ironically working himself to death whilst writing it. He didn't finish it, and there are many different versions. Mozart died poor, and had a peasants grave, yet now his descendants inherit his millions. This is my stand for Destery, true martyr.

"Auntie Carrie?" Niall asked me.

"Yes, honey?" I replied, trying to keep my fear away from him, despite him being my age when this all happened.

"Why do you always come to the woods? You're only ever upset when you return." Niall questioned me, but I couldn't fathom how to explain it. He didn't know the full story about his sister, Destery. Only that she ran away to the woods.

I pondered. "Destery meant a lot to me, she was the sister I never had. I feel like... I have to respect her." I put my hand over his shoulder as we stood in the opening, right next to the rock... I couldn't think of it.

"But she left us." Niall said bluntly and wrapped his arm around my waist in comfort. 

I sighed, trying to keep back the tears. The want to tell him the truth. "I know, Nee. You go home, okay? I need to be alone. Anyway, you have that English assignment." 

Niall just humphed and started walking home. I was glad to be alone.

I started to circle the perimeter, stroking my hands along the bushes. Destery was in here, somewhere. Amongst the branches, the leaves, the dirt and the trees, Destery was still so very much alive and happy. At least, that's what I tell myself. 

All the memories we had were unmistakeably powerful compared to the average friends. We met each other in our worst times, and became closer when we fought through it together. Now I'm old enough to know what I want and do, I can only wander what would have happened is Destery didn't go. Would I want complete different things in my life? Would I still want to be a psychologist and study the mind at it's possessive state? Or would I want to be something completely different? I'll never know, because she's shaped me to the person I am today. 

I sat in the middle of the field, intending to think...

Without her, I wouldn't have become Grade 6 playing the piano. Without her, I still wouldn't have a family. Without her, I wouldn't have gotten adopted by Amelia and Gerard. Without her, I'd still be in that mental institute. Without her, I would have lost all hope long ago: whenever I feel down, I think about what she went through, and how she stayed determined to be happy despite the sadness that must have been filling her head.

Of course, I still don't understand. That's why I'm going for my masters degree in Psychology to find out. I don't know why she came back, why she followed it's orders, why it happened to her nor why Destery left us when, really, nothing happened to her.

It frustrates me. All these questions are left unknown and I can't deal with it. I need to find, out. For Destery.