vestigial

(A/N: There's no better quality version of the song on YouTube so if you want clarity, listen on Spotify or Soundcloud. Enjoy!)

Eight Weeks Post

(Dee POV)

I never thought the day would come when I was without you. Even when we spitefully and intentionally hurt each other, I knew you would come back, I would go back. We wouldn't end, couldn't end. But we did, and neither one of us even said the words.

Deetranada looks up from her notebook, sighing deeply. She closes it, gently placing it to the side. She quietly stares out, her mind blank for the first time in two months. Her mind feels at ease, the memories failing to come to mind first. She smiles to herself. It's gonna be a good day.

She grabs her phone, checking for a specific notification. She finds it, laughing at Mani's message. She shakes her head as she starts to call him. It rings a few times before he answers. 'Damn, you can't even give me time to get all the way up,' he says with a groggy voice. 'Nigga, it's 12:28, get the fuck up,' she yells. He groans and she laughs again, starting to stand.

'You supposed to already be over here,' she explains, sitting in front of her mirror and starting to do her makeup. 'I said 1, it ain't even quarter 'til yet Dee,' he counters, his voice muffled and slowing down. 'Mani. You better wake the hell up,' she threatens. 'Chill man, damn,' he mumbles. 'Then don't lie to me and tell me you takin' me to the mall when you really tryna sleep.'

'You know how late I was up last night?' he attempts. 'Nope and don't care,' she replies, dropping her brow products for her foundation. He always do this shit. 'It's fine, I'mma just call meatba—' 'Nah, nah nah,' he interrupts. She hears quick movement, his voice getting clearer. 'I'm up. Lemme hop in the shower and I'll be there by 1, aight?'

She chuckles, 'Aight. Still callin' meatball though.' He sucks his teeth, the faint sound of water running behind his voice. 'It's my day though,' he complains. 'You playin' like it's not so...' She smirks, enjoying toying with him. 'Told you I'm up, just give me a few minutes.' 'Aight, Mani. Don't make me fight you.' 'Maybe I want you to,' he mumbles. This nigga. 'Mani. Don't start.' He laughs, hanging up.

She shakes her head, finishing her makeup. A notification gathers her attention and she briefly checks it, rolling her eyes. She drops her phone, rapping to herself as she continues her makeup. On it, a message from an unknown number awaits.

****

Dee walks to Mani's truck, struggling to get inside. When she finally hoists herself up, she takes a deep breath. 'You and this big ass truck,' she complains. 'You and them lil' ass legs,' he replies. 'Shut up, Mani.' He laughs, starting to drive away. She's occupied with her phone, not bothering to talk to him. 'Key said they was already goin' so he'll see us at some point,' she says, putting her phone to sleep. He nods, the news not bothering him.

'How you feelin' today?' he asks. 'Good, nothin' to complain about,' she replies. Her answer makes him smile though he tries to hide it. Really, Mani? Still? He clears his throat. 'Where you tryna go?' he asks. She shrugs, looking out the window. 'Don't matter, just wanted to be out.' 'Could've just came to my crib for all that,' he offers. 'Hell nah!' she retorts quickly. That's not gonna happen. 'I got shit to do after anyway.'

He sucks his teeth. 'You always leavin' when it's my day.' 'Then stop pickin' Thursday, you know I got shit to do,' she fires back. 'Nah, you just be doin' it Thursday 'cause it's me. I know you tryna avoid me, ma,' he says with a mischievous smirk. 'I'll knock that smile down yo long ass throat, keep on,' she states. He laughs loudly to her annoyance. 'You need to be in school, always skipping and shit.'